cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Platinum Denied CLI - returned payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Platinum Denied CLI - returned payment?

In July last year, I went to make a payment on my capital one card and accidentally used the wrong bank account to pay. I didn't realize until a couple days passed and the money still wasn't deducted. I immediately made another payment with the correct account. 

I have never missed a payment on my card, and I pay more than my balance due each month, so I was trying to request a CLI. My latest attempt was last week, and I was declined due to a "recent returned payment." Does anyone know how long this will affect me? I was thinking it would be six months but it's been over that now and they still will not approve my CLI.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Platinum Denied CLI - returned payment?

Welcome to the forum.  Based on the info. posted, you are looking at least a year or more.  Was the payment returned a big payment?  How late was it?  Did you realize after a month, a week?

You best recourse is to probably call and see if the returned payment strike/negative notes placed on your account can be removed. If all fails, then you'd have to reach out to Capital One EO for you need the CLI desperately.

Message 2 of 9
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

12 months is the rule of thumb. I just went through this with them and got a 3x CLI at month 12. Email EO and they will likely fix it for you in a few days if it was just one payment.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

To avoid this sort of thing happening in the future, you might consider paying your credit card using your bank's "bill pay" functionality. This form of payment is called an "ACH push" as opposed to the "ACH pull" you attempted through Capital One's credit card website. Since an ACH pull is initiated at the card issuer, if it fails the card issuer regards it as derogatory and marks your internal file as such. Using bill pay carries no such risk. The payment is initiated at your bank and your CC company will not know if the payment attempt fails.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies! It was a $100 payment but my minimum was $25. And I did make the payment from the correct account shortly after finding what happened, just a couple days later. I will try contacting the EO hopefully they can help.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the replies! It was a $100 payment but my minimum was $25. And I did make the payment from the correct account shortly after finding what happened, just a couple days later. I will try contacting the EO hopefully they can help.

Literally the SAME EXACT THING happened to me last year. I accidently tried to withdraw the payment from my Navy Federal CU savings account but didn't know you weren't permitted to do an ACH draft out of that account due to bank policy. What I had to do was get a letter from NFCU stating that it was bank policy not a lack of funds in the account as the reason for the payment being returned. I was able to get all this accomplished by contacting the EO. With mine after I got them the letter faxed in it took a few days and they processed it and the change was made. It still took two months after they got the letter for me to be eligible for a CLI so bear that in mind. It's a hell of a lot better than being blacklisted for 12 months.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well contacting the EO worked! I checked my account this morning and they increased my limit. Emailed them on Wednesday, received a call from a very nice lady on Friday, and checked today Tuesday and it is there.

Message 7 of 9
Lpapa

Can you send me the email address.  I am currently in this situation.  I was out of the contry and used the app to make a payment from my capital one 360 checking.  When I got back into the country a few days later they payment had not been posted/processed or deducted from my account so I made the payment a second time.  Well the second one was returned sinc they did process the first one.  Im trying to get the negetive remark removed it was an honest mistake i make multiple large payments per month and this was one of them not even near my due date.

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Lpapa wrote:

Can you send me the email address.  I am currently in this situation.  I was out of the contry and used the app to make a payment from my capital one 360 checking.  When I got back into the country a few days later they payment had not been posted/processed or deducted from my account so I made the payment a second time.  Well the second one was returned sinc they did process the first one.  Im trying to get the negetive remark removed it was an honest mistake i make multiple large payments per month and this was one of them not even near my due date.

Welcome to myFICO!  wavey_zps81xnuobx.gif

We're not allowed to put personal contact information in the forum, but I can direct you where to go to find what you're looking for.

This is how you reach-out to the Capital One EO (Executive Office):  http://bfy.tw/8Ih3

You will probably be contacted by phone, and if the EO has to leave a message for you they will provide a call-back number and a PIN that is only valid for you.

Since this thread is rather old, if you have any further questions I encourage you to start a new thread with your inquiry... there are many people here ready and willing to help however we can!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.