Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 QS / Venture Pre-Qual Offer Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 QS / Venture Pre-Qual Offer Questions

Hi everyone!

Ok! So I checked out the Cap1 Pre-Qualification site today, ran my info with "Average" credit and got this offer:

But, I also got on the same page... "We also suggest:"
And it is for the Venture Rewards.

Now, I had checked the site yesterday and it didn't pull these up. It had pulled up the Platinum and "We Also Suggest" Q1 Rewards.
Currently I only have a QS1 that I was approved for in September 2015, with a starting limit of $500.00. I'm in the Credit Steps program and used the LUV button after my 5th statement hit and got a $1000.00 increase. I'm sitting at 9% Util.

( Off of EQ report ) Length of Credit History 13 Years, 9 Months  / Average Account Age 7 Years, 9 Months

I have 2 HP's on EQ (1 from C1 09/2015, the other Comcast 01/2015) ..1 TU (Capital One 09/2015) and 3 on EX (2 rental companies 07/2015 and Capital One 09/2015).

From CCT Fico, EX: 703 EQ: 723 and TU: 642.
TU is the only one not showing my updated CLI and balance and I just joined CCT yesterday so I'm a little concerned about putting through any inquiries w/o my updated TU score.

I'm rebuilding my credit and would like to know what you all think, should I go for it? Perhaps wait until after TU updates? I know they pull from all 3 CRA's. Also, for the Venture, I'm wondering if that's more of a pre-qual offer or more like "we recommend"... any ideas on that one?

Cap1 has been good to me so I'm excited to see these offers.
I also have a Amex EveryDay offer that I got in the mail but the AMEX site only shows "We Recommend" (which I read is not a pre-qual)...
The ones I'm getting most frequently are from Chase. I do have a chase chking/savings account. When checking the pre-qual site it's not showing me any offers but I just got 2 more earlier this week in the mail. One is for the Freedom, 0% Intro for 15 months, 5% cash back in bonus cats, no annual, $150 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening... turns into a variable 18.99 apr.
The next one is the Slate. 0% for 15 months, after that 22.99%, no annual fee. Fee monthly FICO...

So I'm wondering if should try for any of those too.. .and in which order, LOL.

Thanks so much all!!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 QS / Venture Pre-Qual Offer Questions

I believe, from what I have learned, it's a solid offer because it lists a concrete APR instead of a range.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would do the Freedom, then decide if you want the Venture or not.  "Solid" YMMV prequal, but all in all, should be good.

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to both of you for your responses!

I realize prequals don't necessarily mean approvals. I know I mentioned this prior but thanks to TU not updating yet I'm a little hesitant to apply.

My question is, is there a specific order I should be applying for these in?

I'm still interested in the AMEX as well and I believe they only HP EX? Any ideas what my chances for the EveryDay Cash card are?

The Cap1 prequal site had me listed as I stated prior for Platinum and QS1 yesterday... so I'm wondering since it's QS and Venture now, is the platinum even worth a try coupled with one of the other cards? 

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

IME, I and other family members received the same type of offers from Cap One and each one was an instant approval so yours are probably good.  The Venture listed "as also suggested" with the solid apr was the same as the Quicksilver pre approval.  The Venture usually has larger sl's than the Quicksilver but ,I believe both are their top tier cards, so I would choose one or both of those over the platinum offers.  Venture 5 digit sl's are fairly common so, if you want a travel card, that may be the way to go for you.  If you want  no frills cashback then look more to the Quicksilver and take advantage of the promos.  

I personally see the Freedom as a better card than the Slate.  The Slate's purpose is more or less a balance transfer card and useless after the balance transfer promo.  The apr 22% is high and there's several other cards offering 15 mos @ 0% and possibly a lower after promo apr.  The Freedom would be the clear winner for me.  If I was going for it; I would app the Freedom first, then the Cap One card(s) in whatever card meets your requirements.

Message 5 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

Ok! So I checked out the Cap1 Pre-Qualification site today, ran my info with "Average" credit and got this offer:

Now, I had checked the site yesterday and it didn't pull these up. It had pulled up the Platinum and "We Also Suggest" Q1 Rewards.
Currently I only have a QS1 that I was approved for in September 2015, with a starting limit of $500.00. I'm in the Credit Steps program and used the LUV button after my 5th statement hit and got a $1000.00 increase. I'm sitting at 9% Util.

( Off of EQ report ) Length of Credit History 13 Years, 9 Months  / Average Account Age 7 Years, 9 Months

I have 2 HP's on EQ (1 from C1 09/2015, the other Comcast 01/2015) ..1 TU (Capital One 09/2015) and 3 on EX (2 rental companies 07/2015 and Capital One 09/2015).

TU is the only one not showing my updated CLI and balance and I just joined CCT yesterday so I'm a little concerned about putting through any inquiries w/o my updated TU score.

I'm rebuilding my credit and would like to know what you all think, should I go for it? Perhaps wait until after TU updates? I know they pull from all 3 CRA's. Also, for the Venture, I'm wondering if that's more of a pre-qual offer or more like "we recommend"... any ideas on that one?

I also have a Amex EveryDay offer that I got in the mail but the AMEX site only shows "We Recommend" (which I read is not a pre-qual)...
The ones I'm getting most frequently are from Chase. I do have a chase chking/savings account. When checking the pre-qual site it's not showing me any offers but I just got 2 more earlier this week in the mail. One is for the Freedom, 0% Intro for 15 months, 5% cash back in bonus cats, no annual, $150 bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening... turns into a variable 18.99 apr.
The next one is the Slate. 0% for 15 months, after that 22.99%, no annual fee. Fee monthly FICO...

Thanks so much all!!

You can go for the Quicksilver. Don't go for the Venture, it's not a pre-qual.

It might be wise to wait though, until your TU gets up near the others.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much all!!

You can go for the Quicksilver. Don't go for the Venture, it's not a pre-qual.

It might be wise to wait though, until your TU gets up near the others.

YES IT IS! if you get the congrats message, any card listed on the page is pre-qual and the fixed interest rate confirms this.

I would apply to Amex first and then I would apply for both Quicksilver and Venture Card back to back... They will use same inquiries, Venture will give higher limit than QS and you can combine them at 6 months!!

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd do this order:  Chase Freedom.  AMex ED, Venture, QS. 

Reasons:  if you want a 5% rotating cat card and "in" with Chase, and won't break the 5/24 rule.  Don't app for the AmeX ED or only 1 Cap1 and you could get the CSP in 6 months which allows the Freedom's rewards to be rolled into UR points with the CSP at 1:1.  Major earning potential.

AmEX ED second.  EX hP in general.  Sometimes INQ sensitive.  I can't get it with a 670 bc of 2014 Auto Late Pay and 2014 Paid Collection. Srsly. They deny me.  Whatev's. I'm biased. Smiley Tongue  Good card if you want to use MR system for points.

Venture.  2x/$1 Use Plastiq to pay Rent to make $3000/90day bonus requirement. 

App back to back Venture then QS.  Venture One does have the 0% APR promo and $1000/90days BUT it's only 1.2x/$1 earnings (right?). Meh IMO.  However, in 6 months Cap1 should allow account combine and you could roll your QS or Venture into 1 Account with a large CL. Sexy.

Message 8 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd do this order:  Chase Freedom.  AMex ED, Venture, QS. 

Reasons:  if you want a 5% rotating cat card and "in" with Chase, and won't break the 5/24 rule.  Don't app for the AmeX ED or only 1 Cap1 and you could get the CSP in 6 months which allows the Freedom's rewards to be rolled into UR points with the CSP at 1:1.  Major earning potential.

AmEX ED second.  EX hP in general.  Sometimes INQ sensitive.  I can't get it with a 670 bc of 2014 Auto Late Pay and 2014 Paid Collection. Srsly. They deny me.  Whatev's. I'm biased. Smiley Tongue  Good card if you want to use MR system for points.

Venture.  2x/$1 Use Plastiq to pay Rent to make $3000/90day bonus requirement. 

App back to back Venture then QS.  Venture One does have the 0% APR promo and $1000/90days BUT it's only 1.2x/$1 earnings (right?). Meh IMO.  However, in 6 months Cap1 should allow account combine and you could roll your QS or Venture into 1 Account with a large CL. Sexy.

+1 sorry missed you wanted Freedom... that goes first for sure!

if you have offer for freedom and CSP I would do both back to back or freedom and a hotel or airline card after.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been checking the Cap One site since I closed my secured card last week. I'm not getting a pre-qualified offer, but it is showing a fixed APR. I'm confused...

Primary Benefit
Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
Purchase APR
0% intro APR until November 2016; 23.24% variable APR after that
Transfer Information
0% intro APR until November 2016; 23.24% variable APR after that; No Transfer Fee

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.