Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne strategy to increase limit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne strategy to increase limit

My next CLI from CapOne on my QS is coming up 2/5. I'm assuming I'll get my usual lame $150-250 increase. I'm at $1400 now and that is way below my other cards. I don't want to close it as it is my oldest card and oldest by a lot-maybe 3-4 years.

I was thinking I could App for the Venture and then in 6 mo combine the 2 into my QS.

Good strategy? I'm worried about my EX score tho. My other 2 are good. My EX has one old Collection that will fall off the end of 2017. My TU & EQ are clean. Scores in sig are current as of today.

Any opinions welcome. TIA
8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: CapOne strategy to increase limit

That's what I did to get my limit up on a card that wouldn't budge with Cap One. If you don't mind the inqs, which aren't a big deal IMO. Then go for it. My EX was the only clean report when I attacked them reapidly for 12 months until I got it where I wanted it. I don't see your signature by the way.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idk why you don't see the sig. I see it on every post. Lol. I don't get this site sometimes. I made sure it was listed on the mobile and on the full site. I'll try to see what I can figure out.
Scores are 763 Tu, 744 EQ, and 653 EX
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, what were your scores at the time you were approved with CO?  If they were low 600's or anywhere in that ballpark, which I'm guessing they may have been based on your limit and CLI amounts, that account may very well be doomed for eternity.  You could possibly possess 800+ scores and they still won't budge on that old account since it was opened on terms that weren't very good. 

Your idea of opening up another CO card and moving that limit over is a good one.  In fact, that's sort of a long term goal of mine with CO.  My only CO card sits in my SD now since it was opened on poor terms and they refuse to let it grow.  There aren't any other CO products right now that interest me though, so I'm basically just keeping that card open and in my SD until I see another CO product that works for me.  This could be years, who knows.  At that time I'll move over my limit ($4k) to the new card and take it from there.

Message 4 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Idk why you don't see the sig. I see it on every post. Lol. I don't get this site sometimes. I made sure it was listed on the mobile and on the full site. I'll try to see what I can figure out.
Scores are 763 Tu, 744 EQ, and 653 EX

I see it now. You'll be fine. My scores were much lower than yours when I used the technique. I decided to just roll all CLs back into the oldest card. The rate is high, though this means nothing unless you plan to carry balances on it. I wasn't willing to close my oldest account just because of an APR I never use.

Cap One use to allow double apps on the same pull.

I believe that has changed and you must wait a certain amount of time between their apps now, before applying again. I took my old Platinum MC ($1100) to a QS MC currently ($49,500) in 12 months using that technique. Many here have done the same.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for the opinions to both of you.

@brutal-yes I got that card in 2013 or 14 and I had scores in the high 500's. I was approved for $300 and I get my 6 mo CLI each time but it is usually $150-200 and that is with 2 of my 3 being mid 750's. This is why I wanted to try and get a new card.

That being said... if I get the new card and apply the limit to my QS-keep that open cuz it is the longest one open-then I'm still screwed as far as CLIs go.

Maybe I am better off just giving up on CapOne altogether. I never use them because I have many other cards with better rewards and lower APR.
I do like that I always have a no fee BT offer there tho for when I play the game of making my credit report a 0% utilization. If I did that I would close the CapIne card once I replaced the limit with CLI on one of my other cards or a new approval

Idk what to do.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's what I am gonna do. not only for CLI but in order to avoid AF for QS-1

I have 3 open accounts with C1

master platinum $1.5K 2 years old

QS-1 $1.5K 9months old

QS $1K less than 1 month old

I can't combine QS-1 to QS until July because of 6 months rule. So I have to pay AF on QS-1 for this year anyway. I am gonna contact with C1 for remove the AF. Let's see what will happen,

I'll request CLI on all 3 cards on April and late October. I will keep platinum master open due to age and combine QS-1 to QS with total of at least 5K-6K  limit hopefully.

Message 7 of 9
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Why don't you PC the Platinum to a QS then roll the QS-1 into it?  That is what I plan on doing with mine once I get another round of CLIs.  I was able to PC the Plat at about the three month mark.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.