Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI Denial Reason ???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI Denial Reason ???

Hoping someone has some insight into the "reason" my CLI keeps getting denied.

I have had my Captial One Signature Visa for just over a year...16 months to be exact.  It was opened with a $5,000.00 credit limit, and that is still where it sits.  I have tried several times since the account was 6 months old to get a credit limit increase.  Each time I get the same denial letter with the same reason.  I have tried calling the number on their letter...their customer service reps don't seem to even know what the reason "means", and google hasn't really been helpful either.

"You recently requested a credit line increase for your Capital One ® account. Unfortunately, your account isn't eligible right now. We know this isn't the answer you were hoping for and we want to help you understand why:

· A credit limit increase is currently not available upon request because Capital One is evaluating account activity at assigned credit limits."

They list a bunch of reasons and FAQ's on the back of the letter, but this "reason" is not listed among them.

I have great credit...its taken me a long time to get to this point, but I have had the following scores for approximately the last year...so I know that doesn't have anything to do with it.

Experian 745
Transunion 812

Equifax 763

My other credit card is a Discover Card, and they raise my limit all the time without me even asking...currently sitting at a $15,000.00 limit on that card.  I don't even necessisarly want to utilize that much credit, but my husband and I are saving for a house and I would really like to increase our available credit amount.  I am told it can help with the amount of mortgage you are approved for, and when we do get a home we will have to fully furnish it as we are currently in a tiny studio and pretty much only have a bed and barstools.  

We use our credit cards like our debit cards, and pay them off at the end of every week, so our utilization averages from about 2-5%, no late payments, and always paid off in full every single month.  My other debts such as my student loan which was paid off last year, and my car loan, which I owe less than $5,000 on, again no late payments, and we always make more than the minimum.  We could actually pay off my car, but want to keep the loan for the payment history...again because we are prepping for a mortgage.

So far they only thing I have found is that for some reason my card may be "locked" at a $5,000.00, but I don't know why...I was approved for their "highest" level of card as far as I am aware...so I don't understand why the limit would be locked.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI Denial Reason ???

Hi there, I got the same denial reason everytime I do the CLI request. I guess Cap One has one generic reason for all customer.
Their chat rep told me that you can request for cli one in 6 months or so. Anything earlier than 6 months you'll get the same realms again.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

same reasons* not realms.. sorry for the typo stupid iPhone autocorrect. 😬
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

One thing you could try right away is only making 1 payment per month.  When you are making multiple payments and using the card almost like a debit card, your balance never really gets high so there's no way you'd ever come close to hitting your $5000 limit.  This gives CO little to no incentive to give you a CLI.  How much money are you putting through the card every month?

I have put $1000-$2000 through my CO card with a $4000 limit and received the denial reason of "not enough use of current credit limit" which I thought was pretty bogus; how can using half of your limit not be enough?  You hear stories all the time about people doing 1-2 small purchases a month and getting CLIs.  It's all profile-specific, and denial reasons quite often are just flat out BS.

Message 4 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing you could try right away is only making 1 payment per month.  When you are making multiple payments and using the card almost like a debit card, your balance never really gets high so there's no way you'd ever come close to hitting your $5000 limit.  This gives CO little to no incentive to give you a CLI.  How much money are you putting through the card every month?

I have put $1000-$2000 through my CO card with a $4000 limit and received the denial reason of "not enough use of current credit limit" which I thought was pretty bogus; how can using half of your limit not be enough?  You hear stories all the time about people doing 1-2 small purchases a month and getting CLIs.  It's all profile-specific, and denial reasons quite often are just flat out BS.

Got the sameexact  responce today with same usage on a 4500 CL. Go figure.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hear you.  Was it the QS card in your sig?  Same card as me if so.  What was your SL and with what credit score were you approved?  I was approved with a SL of $3000 and a credit score of 619 at the time.  Even with my scores today in the mid-high 700's, CO certainly has not forgotten where I came from and continues to view my account the way they did back when I opened it under less than stellar terms.

Message 6 of 19
EW800
Valued Contributor

My experience is that CapOne can be odd when it comes to CLI's.  I tried for about two years to get a CLI on my Platinum Card and was always denied, with the same reason that you have been receiving - "account not eligible".   It has a CL of $8,400 and had been at that limit for years.  Finally, about a year ago, I decided to bite the bullet as far as the triple HP's and applied for the Venture.  I was approved at $30K.  I just shook my head, not knowing why they would not allow even a dime increase on the Platinum, yet gave me $30K on another card...

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 19
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hear you.  Was it the QS card in your sig?  Same card as me if so.  What was your SL and with what credit score were you approved?  I was approved with a SL of $3000 and a credit score of 619 at the time.  Even with my scores today in the mid-high 700's, CO certainly has not forgotten where I came from and continues to view my account the way they did back when I opened it under less than stellar terms.

@Anonymous Looked it up. FICO 649. Yep same card in siggy.. Regular MC. The 1/16 entry below.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see people say to utilize more of the limit and make a one time payment. Do you mean use it then wait for statement and then PIF? Wouldn't that spike my utilization and cause my score to drop?

Message 9 of 19
Sexyblue
Contributor

I get the same LAME reason also – account not available for increase.  I remember reading on this forum that “you do better by reapplying for another Cap1 card to get a larger limit and better terms”.  It seems they hold on to your same profile for the current card you have however, but look at you differently when you get a new card. This is the gist of what I gathered reading this forum over the years on Cap1.

This is my speculative view – but there is anecdotal evidence of people getting better cards and higher limits, while not getting CLI on current cards with years of use/spend/pay.

TU 660,EX 679, EQ 673,
DiscoverIT19,500 | Barney's NY,16000 | Jcrew, 8000 | Macy'sRed,12000 | Bloomingdales,9000 | Elan Visa, 5000|
P.C Richards ,4000 | Amazon, 3000 | Barclays, 3000 WalmartMC, 3000 | Target, 3400| Brooks Brothers 1,400
CAP1, 1250 | BOA,1000 | BestBuy, 1000 | American Airlines, 1300|
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.