Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI?

So capital one told me they'd give me an increase after 5 on time payments but here's my problem.

I made the first 3 payments in full but on this 4th payment I let a balance carry over (only like 20 bucks) because I had heard that sometimes it's good carrying a small balance.

Will this affect my 5 month cli?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI?

no! you are ok .. remember when you leave a balance thats how cc make money (in a way) so its not bad. 

i got a 3k CLI with a 1.5k balance on my initial limit of 10k so relax 

Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So capital one told me they'd give me an increase after 5 on time payments but here's my problem.

I made the first 3 payments in full but on this 4th payment I let a balance carry over (only like 20 bucks) because I had heard that sometimes it's good carrying a small balance.

Will this affect my 5 month cli?

No, it won't.  CAP 1 likes for people to carry a balance.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! Thanks guys Smiley Happy. This is my first Credit Card and my initial limit is $300 so I'm trying hard to spend responsibly and build good credit!

Any thoughts on how much they'll increase me to?
Message 4 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Awesome! Thanks guys Smiley Happy. This is my first Credit Card and my initial limit is $300 so I'm trying hard to spend responsibly and build good credit!

Any thoughts on how much they'll increase me to?

No magic 8 ball. But here's advice. Use it a lot. And leave balance there is no interest anyway the first year.  So they will take care of you. Little usage or babying it. Gets you little increase as well.  Even if you must pay. Multiple times in a month. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's great because I nearly maxed it out last month and most other months I spend around $170-$200.

Mostly because the limit is so low to begin with Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Well that's great because I nearly maxed it out last month and most other months I spend around $170-$200.

Mostly because the limit is so low to begin with Smiley Sad

For comparison, since opening my Quicksilver card last month (May 8th was the day I received it, to be exact), I have charged and paid $1,145.03 on my card. Well, $92.79 is pending waiting to be paid, but will be paid as soon as it shows as an actual balance. I'm not spending anything on it right now because the statement will cut on the 28th and I want it to report a $0 balance to the CB. What's the credit limit on that card that I'm running around $600 through a month? $300.

The spending pattern has been about equal with my husband's Quicksilver and both of our CapOne Platinum cards.

If you manage the card right, you can easily run a lot through it every month without ever hitting the limit. As soon as it shows a balance, pay it. Then, while you have a balance, pay for every purchase that you run through it as you make that purchase. (Because you can't make any payments while a zero balance sits on the account.) You'll end up clearing your balance back to zero much more quickly that way.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like everyone else has already stated, no, it will not affect your CLI. Speaking of CLIs, have you tried to request one online yet? I have heard quite a few people who are in credit steps requested a CLI online around 3 months in and got it, plus they got their credit steps increase as well when the time came. It's a soft pull so it wouldn't hurt your score to try. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.