Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Limit Increase question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Credit Limit Increase question

The threshold to be product changed into a card is typically far lower that when applying cold, becasue there are no minimum limits to consider and they're not giving you the sign-up bonus - I'm willing to bet that it would be equally easy to PC into the PRD as the QS...and it's really easy to PC into the QS, I did so 2 months post ch7 discharge.

Good Luck!

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 Tigerhawk! I Pc'ed my platinum into a quicksilver with no AF at 3 months. Had I have cold apped for that card it would have been a no go as I am only at around 664/635/642 Fico wise. Now, I have a 1.5% cash back card but I just had to be ok with no sign on bonus.
Message 12 of 22
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Combining the cards won't affect your AAoA since the closed account will stay on your reports for about another 10 years. And for optimal scoring you only need 3 cards. Just thought I'd throw that out.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I decide to combine my 2 cards and assuming they closeout the secured one, what happens to my cash securement?
Message 14 of 22
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

They'll return it.
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE:

Just got off phone with Cap1. I asked the rep about combining my 2 plats. Was told that my secured plat cannot be combined at this time. However, she stated that Cap1 is looking at the possibility of unsecuring secured cards but couldn't give a timeframe. So combining my 2 plats is not going to happen until my secured status is changed.

In other happy news, I applied for a QS and was approved for $1k! After 6 months of good behavior with my QS, i can combine that with my unsecured plat.

Nice people at Cap1. The rep I spoke with had a cute giggle too...lol

So now ill have 5 cards, 2 being rewards cards, 1 secured and 2 standard. Total CL about $8250. Not bad for having wrecked credit 20 months ago!
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
UPDATE:

Just got off phone with Cap1. I asked the rep about combining my 2 plats. Was told that my secured plat cannot be combined at this time. However, she stated that Cap1 is looking at the possibility of unsecuring secured cards but couldn't give a timeframe. So combining my 2 plats is not going to happen until my secured status is changed.

In other happy news, I applied for a QS and was approved for $1k! After 6 months of good behavior with my QS, i can combine that with my unsecured plat.

Nice people at Cap1. The rep I spoke with had a cute giggle too...lol

So now ill have 5 cards, 2 being rewards cards, 1 secured and 2 standard. Total CL about $8250. Not bad for having wrecked credit 20 months ago!

I misread your earlier post in that I thought your secured card had already graduated (unsecured) - sorry about that

Grats on the approval!...however you seem to have missed what I was trying to suggest - you may be able to transform your existing planinum in to a QS without going through a new application...if the topic didn't come up during your call, I'd recommend getting online  with the chat feature and just seeing if they might do that for you - after all you want rewards on ALL your spend, right?

Good Luck!

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @tygerhawke. I got what you were saying about transforming my unsecred plat. Couldnt do it today as there is still $60 on it that will get paid this week.

The rep and i discussed it and I decided to just app for a QS while i was on the phone. I know it did a Hard inq but that's ok.

My plan for car loan wont be worked on til much later this year anyway. I have 3 hard inquiries fall my CR by December anyway. I'll just Garden for the rest of the year.

I still hv the option of converting this plat anyway anytime i want after i hit $0 balance.
Message 18 of 22
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

You don't have to have a zero balance to PC to a QS.
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
You don't have to have a zero balance to PC to a QS.

+1... I had a $26 balance in mine when I PC'ed my Plat to QS yesterday. Rep was super nice and helpful, took seriously about 2 minutes from beginning to end of call.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.