cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Decline CLI - but pre-approved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Decline CLI - but pre-approved?

Capital One lost me on this one.  Have been trying to get a CLI on my Quicksilver MC or Venture One MC for a while with no luck. Total lines is about 10k.  The letter I always get says my scores aren't high enough for an increase based on my total lines wih Capital One. However, I just check the pre-approvals and I am pre-approved for the Quicksilver One card?  Anyone have any clue what is up with this?  Would it even get approved, and if so, I'd have to imagine it would be a tiny SL?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Decline CLI - but pre-approved?

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One lost me on this one.  Have been trying to get a CLI on my Quicksilver MC or Venture One MC for a while with no luck. Total lines is about 10k.  The letter I always get says my scores aren't high enough for an increase based on my total lines wih Capital One. However, I just check the pre-approvals and I am pre-approved for the Quicksilver One card?  Anyone have any clue what is up with this?  Would it even get approved, and if so, I'd have to imagine it would be a tiny SL?

I would not hold my breath on an approval. Like stated in another thread, wait 6 months and see what happens. You would take an HP just to find out.

CapOne is flaky to say the least.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 2 of 3
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Decline CLI - but pre-approved?

ha ha, don't do anyway.  It will pull all three bureaus.  No one needs a card that bad if they have other options.  

If you are getting a preapproval it probably means they would approve you.  What they do with an exisiting set of accounts and what they do with a new account application are totally different.  If your other accounts were ever subprime then they are probably coded in such a way that they will get denials easier than if you had a siggy card with them.  I have gone through this for a long time with them.  I couldn't get an account increase, but I was able to get a siggy card with them with a nice starting limit.  I don't think I knew of the three credit bureau pull at the time or didn't care just to prove a point with them.

There are things that can't happen at CapOne.

1.  You can't get them to only pull one bureau and they won't tell you they pull all three.

2.  You can't get your starter card recoded from the original metrics.  There are times they might change how they treat them, but if they ever go back to what they did before it will get treated the same way it got treated before.

3.  You can't get them to change the APR permanently.  They will give you a lower rate for a 7 month period, but never a permanent lower APR.  They will call you and tell you they are working on implementing that, but 3 years later you will get the same call telling you the same thing.  (Really!  I have had the same conversation with a representative twice with a 3 year gap.  Each time I was told in the near future it would be possible.  Three years doesn't seem like the near future in anyone's reality that I know.)

I have had multiple cards with them over time and tried every imaginable way to get certain things from them.  Three of them were starter cards and one was a siggy.  I closed the first card after the second year when they would not remove the AF.  I closed the second card with them and merged the limit into a converted Household HSBC card when they stopped giving me CLI's.  I closed the siggy card when I stopped using it because I had better rewards on other cards and had another 1.5% card to replace it and merged the limit into the HSBC card as that card had a lower APR than the siggy card.  I now have a subprime card with them with a 20K limit to make light of the fact that I have a card with a huge limit, comparatively, and a lower APR than most can get from their siggy cards.  I don't care if they ever give it a CLI and I know that at some point in the future when it has no real benefits that I will allow it to close from no use and never be a customer of thiers again.  (Unless they come out with some game changer card that tops all other rewards that I currently have.  Since I don't think this will every happen I know that the card is doomed and I only use it when I need to do a balance transfer as they have the lowest fee for that.  If that ever changes then I will have no need for it.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.