Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Journey Student with no credit history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Journey Student with no credit history

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about applying for the aforementioned Capital One Journey Student credit card for my sister, who has absolutely no credit history, and is still a student. Would she still be approved, even with the base credit limit? I just wanted to get her started with building her credit, and didn't want to go the secured credit card route if I can avoid it. I am considering this over the Discover Student card because she will probably use the card outside the US too.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Journey Student with no credit history

I am a college student so I have a few friends who tried with no history. They got declined. I applied a month after getting the Discover and got it with a $300CL. Get both, but Discover first

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

With zero credit history I got denied with an income of $8000 and then no more than five minutes later got approved with an income of $12000.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a college student so I have a few friends who tried with no history. They got declined. I applied a month after getting the Discover and got it with a $300CL. Get both, but Discover first

So Discover would get approved with no credit history? Also, if you remember, what was the income they put in for the Journey application?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen, Discover approves students with no credit history. I believe they mentioned that I could add my financial aid as a part of income, so I reported about $12k.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this card as my first card with no prior credit history, and it has worked out quite well for me. I suggest putting $10k+ under income (include any income the user has access to). I started with a $300 CL, and after 5 months PC'ed the card to a QuickSilver and get 1.5% back on all purchases and no AF. That card opened doors to me getting my first Amex and Discover cards. Today, nearly 2 yrs later, My $300 Journey is now a $1.35k Quicksilver. Yeah the 3 hard pulls blow, but she's young enough that they'll go away by the time she needs anything.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the sake of completeness and for other people searching for this in the future, I am providing an update here. I did end up having my sister apply for the CapOne Journey without a credit history, but she was auto-denied (didn't bother to recon). She was however, approved for the Discover It. She got a pending message so had to chat with a Rep to confirm ID and SSN, but it was approved after that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.