Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured

@Anonymous wrote:
Considering you've had that card for 5+ years, calling the executive office to try and get them to budge I'm sure will be a positive thing. I mean, 5 years is a long time.

You'd think that...but this is Capital One...so who knows. I've called before these cards were upgrading and got a flat "never gonna happen" from them. Things have changed so I figure i'll give it another shot. It's my oldest card so if I could upgrade it to QS I would be incredibly happy and definitely use it more.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm based on you guys replies it seems like this card is just to get us in our feet on the rebuilding stages and then to the trash it goes. I guess there isn't any PCing this card huh

Message 12 of 21
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm based on you guys replies it seems like this card is just to get us in our feet on the rebuilding stages and then to the trash it goes. I guess there isn't any PCing this card huh

I wouldn't give up just yet. Especially if you're using it...they could upgrade it but no one knows how common that is yet or how much they expect you to use a card with a tiny limit and high APR.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 13 of 21
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

The executive office now connects you with the regular customer service line. I got someone who doesn't speak very good english and was not capable of providing me any help. I didn't expect them to over-write a policy but maybe offer some other peice of information other than what the chat bots say. She says accounts will be reviewed periodically and to keep my account in good standing and an offer will come up. 5.6 years in good standing apperantly isn't enough. I'll hold onto the card because I'm (still) home shopping but  I don't think I'll keep it open for very long after that...and I am stubborn and like the creditors, I hold a grudge. Capital One will not only never make a dime off of me but will definitely be losing money on me when I get my deposit back. 

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately we've been debating this for over a year.

Cap-1 'promised' that formerly ungraduatable cards would be considered for graduation, especially since they stopped the ability to increase CLs with additional deposit funds....That was LAST February, as in 2016

Yet, they've graduated NO cards
They said secured cards, would be evaluated for CLIs just like other cards but that has NOT happened, period.

Bottom line the Cap-1 secured CC does NOT graduate!
Used to be a go to product but now with multiple HPs and no graduation, it's a NO go, just a place holding rock on your credit profile.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great news!!!

I just checked my email and received this!!!

Screenshot_20170219-101148.png

They refunded me my $100 deposit directly into my account yesterday. My card was originally a $200 secured card and got bumped to $500 in October. Since it is now unsecured, I wonder if I can do a product change? I am so thrilled this happened because I was considering closing it.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that's great how long have you had the card? I'd assume 10 months since October was your CLI
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

The executive office now connects you with the regular customer service line. I got someone who doesn't speak very good english and was not capable of providing me any help. I didn't expect them to over-write a policy but maybe offer some other peice of information other than what the chat bots say. She says accounts will be reviewed periodically and to keep my account in good standing and an offer will come up. 5.6 years in good standing apperantly isn't enough. I'll hold onto the card because I'm (still) home shopping but  I don't think I'll keep it open for very long after that...and I am stubborn and like the creditors, I hold a grudge. Capital One will not only never make a dime off of me but will definitely be losing money on me when I get my deposit back. 

They shut down the EO phone number a while back - the only reliable way to get through to them these days is via e-mail to the CEO:  richard.fairbank@capitalone.com

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mat4200 I've had the card since April 2016 so not even a year. I'm really surprised that it became unsecured based on the earlier responses on this thread.

I did call in and asked for a PC but they do not do product changes for a card that used to be secured. Basically if you want to ever do a product change with them the card cannot start as a secured card.

Also, I tried doing a CLI online and was denied with the following reason: "there was a recent change on your account"
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Mat4200 I've had the card since April 2016 so not even a year. I'm really surprised that it became unsecured based on the earlier responses on this thread.

I did call in and asked for a PC but they do not do product changes for a card that used to be secured. Basically if you want to ever do a product change with them the card cannot start as a secured card.

Also, I tried doing a CLI online and was denied with the following reason: "there was a recent change on your account"

It's possible they don't PC (but I doubt that, you probably got a clueless CSR) - I'd recommend waiting 2 months and trying again via online chat.

Good Luck!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.