Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Venture Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Venture Denial

Hello All,

I applied for Cap One Venture yesterday and was denied instantly, today I received an email with denial letter stating the following reason for denial
"Based on your credit report from Trans Union,number of bank cards tradelines opened in the last 24 months"

I contacted application service line and talked with representative as well as 2 supervisors but they kept telling to contact TransUnion which does not make sense as decision is taken by Cap One.

I have opened 8 accounts in last 24 months but Credit Bureaus should have only 6 as my last 2 AMEX cards haven't reported yet.. I was expecintg an instant approval but I am annoyed with denial because as far as I know there is no reconsideration department, is that true and I am pretty much done with this application or can anything be done?

My stats are as follows

FICO EX 748, EQ 716, TU 741

INQ EX 6, EQ 3, TU 3: 12 Months EX 4, EQ 3, TU 2

AAoA 20 months

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Venture Denial

Sorry to hear! I’m assuming you didn’t have a pre-approval, but neither did I when I apped with more inquires. The only other difference is I had a QS when I applied. Cap1 seems to be tightening the reins a bit, but with your scores, I would have been confident too. 

If it’s any consolation, I don’t think your missing out on much. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One charge-offs are up over 25% in the year from 2016 to 2017 (4%->5%) so they're tightening the belt for sure.

It's feasible they would decline you for a premium card based on higher underwriting standards than their rebuilder cards.  The Venture is a premium card from them, with a premium sign up bonus, and they don't want to approve churners for sure.

Did you check to see if you were prequalified before apping?

Message 3 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It's pretty much a done deal OP.  They've tightened the reins, especially on their higher-tier products.  The old days of everyone getting approved left and right for QS or Ventures with moderate SLs are pretty much done for a while.  Some would advocate to recon or engaging the EO but it will be a fruitless effort.

Message 4 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

You also certainly already have alot better cards than Cap1 can offer you as well OP based on your signature.  Cap1 will still approve Ventures/QS with decent limits if you don't have a ton of other banks from what I have seen, but they have certainly tightened up due to the up tick in their losses.

Message 5 of 20
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

This doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about my plan to app for this next month.  I have a lot more than 8 cards in the last 24 months.

If that's their real only reason for denying you, that would suggest they've implemented some Chase-like 5/24 rule or something similar.

Message 6 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@MrDisco99 wrote:

This doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about my plan to app for this next month.  I have a lot more than 8 cards in the last 24 months.

If that's their real only reason for denying you, that would suggest they've implemented some Chase-like 5/24 rule or something similar.

No rule.  They've just simply tightened their UW criteria.  Lenders adjust frequently to market conditions. 

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were any other denial codes listed? I see your AAoA is only 20 months and Total CLs is at $178K. I’d point to that as being a factor as well. That’s quite an amassing of card limits in such a short time.

I’m curious what your income to total unsecured credit limit ratio is as that definitely has an impact on risk scores.
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear! I’m assuming you didn’t have a pre-approval, but neither did I when I apped with more inquires. The only other difference is I had a QS when I applied. Cap1 seems to be tightening the reins a bit, but with your scores, I would have been confident too. 

If it’s any consolation, I don’t think your missing out on much. 

Yeah no pre-approval.. but I was confident I would get approved, oh well!!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One charge-offs are up over 25% in the year from 2016 to 2017 (4%->5%) so they're tightening the belt for sure.

It's feasible they would decline you for a premium card based on higher underwriting standards than their rebuilder cards.  The Venture is a premium card from them, with a premium sign up bonus, and they don't want to approve churners for sure.

Did you check to see if you were prequalified before apping?

Yeah no pre-qualified offer for Venture.. And I was thinking it should be an instant approval.. I already have better premium cards than Venture but wanted this for upcoming international travel expenses.. And I am not that a heavy churners compared to people they have approved recently Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.