Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Suggestions

tag
CFAN
Valued Member

Card Suggestions

Hi all,

So I am getting close to wanting to app for a couple of new cards but not sure my odds on some with my history.

First my current scores are:

EQ 694, TU 699, EX 684

only inquiry in last 12 months is on EX for Amex (Corporate Card).  I was initially declined (my scores were lower as a few more cards had high balances), but called the number and they approved on that call.  This was in April and it doesn't show on my CR.

BK7 File Date 6/2010

Overall utilization currently shows 54%, but expect that to go down any day now as have paid off one card (Statement cut yesterday; was 90% util) and a card I was an AU on is coming off (it was at about 80% util)

Cards I have:

Cap1 QS1 - 59/1750 - of course the AF hit the month I paid it off and I forgot about it.

Cap1 QS1 - 0/1000 

Cap1 Plat Rewards - 0/4950 

Local CU Card - 1922/2000 

Barclay XP Visa - 4821/5000 

Barclay Apple Visa - 0/2650 

Home Design Card Synchrony - 0/4000

Lowes - 6700/6900

Conns - 4144/7300 (On a 0% promo)

That puts my new util just under 50% (49.6%)

I have 2 car notes, student loan, and mortgage that are perfect.  Nothing derogatory since BK in 2010.  Plenty of income to support all of it so not worried about POI.

I plugged the new util numbers in to the fico simulator and it gave me projections of EQ 714, TU 719, EX 699.

I'm interested in 2 things:

1 - United Card.  I have an offer for 70K bonus miles i'd like to go for.  I also bank with Chase.

2 - Balance Transfer Cards - would love to move the Barclay XP and or the Lowes onto a promo.  I've looked at a few BoA AmeriCard /Chase Slate (both No Interest 15 months AND no fee transfer), Discover IT (18 months), Citi Double Cash (18 months), Barclay Ring (15 months), etc.  

I'm seeing a lot of mixed results with my scores, balances, and histoiy.  I know nothing is a guarantee but would sure appreciate any advice y'all could give.

Cheers! 

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card Suggestions

Get that utilization down to under 30%. That is what is hurting your score. Two of your cards are almost maxed out so get them paid off or paid to under 30% and then think about applying. Better chacnes with lower utilization.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase doesn't like BK. Discover It or Barclay XP will be your best bet.
Message 3 of 7
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Those cards with 60/70/80+% Util are KILLING your scores. Pay them down to under 30%, and then app.. dont do it before, IF you are approved, you will get crappy SL's.... pay them down, and they should be decent SL..

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 7
CFAN
Valued Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems like chase will be rough even with lower utilization. I'll work on the utilization a bit more before an app. Thanks again!
Message 5 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Question, you say you have an offer for the United card, is it a prequal offer from their site or on your existing account. I thought those were supposed to be solid?. Have you tried calling Credit Solutions to request a cli on the Lowes account? That card can get massive with sp luv but not sure if theyll give with its current utilization.
Message 6 of 7
CFAN
Valued Member

Not a prequal.  Just an email offer from Unitied.  I ran the chase pre-qual and didn't get anything.

I did call and ask about a cli on lowes and they said no.  I have done well with that card as started at 1K a few years ago and have been able to get solid bumps by charging and paying down fast.  I know they can get really high.  I'm hoping for another big bump when I pay this balance down.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.