Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances for Barclay Ring?

tag
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Chances for Barclay Ring?

Hi everyone

Well its been 2 months since we closed on our house, and my scores have settled to as shown below, after all the lender pulls, inquiries from Direct TV and Centurylink internet, and 3 weeks ago I had my brakes and rotors replaced.  If I opened A Firestone account, I could get 15% off (plus some decent future perks) and on a $900 bill, that was a significant savings so I went for it.  My reports have also reflected the reporting of this new Firestone account and the new mortgage.

So I have 2 new accounts and a few recent inquiries.  Is it a bad time to try for Barclays?

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances for Barclay Ring?

It's about where I was when I applied for the Ring. I did have another account with them, but not sure that was important. I am sure others will respond to your post, too. If you do apply, good luck and let us know!

Message 2 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

If you TU is 780 and your utilization is <30%, preferably <10% then you have an outstanding chance..  Only a TU pull, but I don't forsee you having any issues with it as long as you haven't opened up like 6 credit cards in the last 6 months which you haven't due to house.  You have plenty of credit history, I don't forsee a denial at all, but an approval.. Let us know the outcome!

Based on other limits I forsee a 10-15k approval.

Message 3 of 20
peepers
Frequent Contributor

Thanks.  Like I said the Firestone credit card is only 3 weeks old.  But I saved $150!  normally (and especially in the year leading up to house hunting) I always declined any % off offer to save anything my opening an account.  But this was worth it!  I just dont want to risk the pull.  Because of things for the house, moving expenses, etc, I have a card with 44% utilization.  If they are util sensitive too, I think theres my answer

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 4 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Personally I would get that card down with 44% utilization to at least sub 30% before applying,although you might get approved with it as it stands, why not get a better starting limit by getting it down a bit first before applying?  Just my take on it as you have good credit and good CL's as it is, pay it down and then apply.  Best of luck whatever you decide

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

With your scores you'll have no problem at all. When they decide your initial limit, they make sure you have at least 2 cards showing a balance. Those with high incomes and high average balances on other cards get the highest starting limits. Those with low income and low average balances get the lowest limits. This was from a Barclay Ring blog, so don't worry about your utlization (obviously don't go over 60% util on any one card) and make sure you have a balance report on at least 2 cards. I know everyone says get your util. down to less than 30% before apping (which is good), I wouldn't sweat it if you have a little higher util showing on one card. I think if you app now you will be approved.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here, this was taken from that Barclay Ring blog I was talking about, the amounts shown in the box are starting credit limits and how they are determined:

Anna_Blog_Chart.png

Message 7 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I wonder if that chart applies to any of their other cards. I got the rewards card with $2k SL.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
I wonder if that chart applies to any of their other cards. I got the rewards card with $2k SL.

That's a good question. You would think it would since it's the same company, but I don't know for sure. I just know it definitely applies to the Ring. And this was from an older blog, so there is a chance the amounts could have changed a little since then, but at least the chart gives you a good idea of what they're looking for when you app.

Message 9 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Here, this was taken from that Barclay Ring blog I was talking about, the amounts shown in the box are starting credit limits and how they are determined:

Anna_Blog_Chart.png

Interesting info... Although that isn't completly right by any means w/regards to limits and being hard set in stone... I need to start reading those blogs moreSmiley Happy...Seems more like a a basic guideline.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.