Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of Amex 3X CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chances of Amex 3X CLI

Hey everyone-

I'm sure a million people have posted about this but trying to figure out whether or not to wait before requesting a 3x CLI on my Amex (HHonors Surpass). I'm past 60 days (3 full statements cut).

I recently had a high utilization authorized user account removed from all 3 reports, and my score went up significantly. I know that Amex uses the most recent SP, but I just hit the limit on viewing my EXP report and don't really want to have to purchase one to review their SP's again. The last time I was able to view my updated EXP report (last week), they had not SP'd since the high utilization account was removed.

My FICO score listed on the Amex website did update Saturday, though, and does now reflect the increased score (now 708). My question is, if the FICO score has updated on Amex's website, is that a guarantee that they did a fresh SP / is that the information they're using to approve/decline CLI's, or is the FICO feature on the website just some integration with FICO and completely separate from the data they're actually using to make decisions? 

Thanks!

EXP: 708 (FICO from Amex)

TU: 796 (FAKO)

EXP: 788 (FAKO)

Current Amex limit: $5k

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chances of Amex 3X CLI

If you are that worried I would just wait a month. I know AMEX doesn't do hard pulls for the CLI and the score listed on the website should be the same one they use. But play it safe and wait 1 more month before submitting the request. 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!

Against my better judgement, I was unable to control myself and wait. I was approved, though for the full 3X increase from $5k to $15k!

This is now my highest limit and (hopefully) once it's reporting it'll help out with Chase Reserve approval Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job on that 3X CLI.  To answer your question though, yes they had to SP you in order to provide you with that updated score you saw on Saturday. 

That said, in giving you that 3X CLI they were going off of your most recent (better) credit profile and score.  Had you pulled the trigger on a CLI prior to the SP, there's an increased chance that you would have fell short of the 3X CLI.  So again, a job well done Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I was going to tell you to go for it myself Smiley Happy 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming up on 6 months now; should I request the full 3x a second time (would be 45k)? 

45k seems like a huge limit (which I do not need), but is the idea to request the max and then they'll just offer a smaller amount? I have 67k base income, ~5k bonus, and another 15k or so of rental income currently, '16 return would show 83k AGI if they were to ask for paperwork (which I guess I wouldn't mind). Is there any downside to accumulating a huge CL / how do you determine a max appropriate amount given a certain income level? CLs for all of my other cards are in my signature below.

I am thinking of getting a car loan in the next 12 months or so; the higher limit would help with utilization (charge expensive hotel stays to this card for work which are reimbursed so no balance carried over) and future potential card approvals, but is there some threshold that would be a flag for lenders? I don't really need anything over the current 15k because I never go above 33% util., but it's tempting to try...

Latest scores:

TU: 797 (CK) EQ: 787 (CK) EX: 709 (FICO). EX contains one 6+ yr old student loan charge-off which is why it's significantly lower than the other two.

Message 6 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Coming up on 6 months now; should I request the full 3x a second time (would be 45k)? 

45k seems like a huge limit (which I do not need), but is the idea to request the max and then they'll just offer a smaller amount? I have 67k base income, ~5k bonus, and another 15k or so of rental income currently, '16 return would show 83k AGI if they were to ask for paperwork (which I guess I wouldn't mind). Is there any downside to accumulating a huge CL / how do you determine a max appropriate amount given a certain income level? CLs for all of my other cards are in my signature below.

I am thinking of getting a car loan in the next 12 months or so; the higher limit would help with utilization (charge expensive hotel stays to this card for work which are reimbursed so no balance carried over) and future potential card approvals, but is there some threshold that would be a flag for lenders? I don't really need anything over the current 15k because I never go above 33% util., but it's tempting to try...

Latest scores:

TU: 797 (CK) EQ: 787 (CK) EX: 709 (FICO). EX contains one 6+ yr old student loan charge-off which is why it's significantly lower than the other two.

After $25K Amex will ask for income verification...which is a pain...I gave up on that last year. If your income supports such a high limit, go for it though. I don't think I make enough to justify ever needing over $25K...and frankly it's a liability if my info gets stolen some day so I'm happy. Be prepared to send a lot of documents and to donate your time. I think you could ask for $25K and get it next increase....again if your income supports it. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Latest scores:

After $25K Amex will ask for income verification...which is a pain...I gave up on that last year. If your income supports such a high limit, go for it though. I don't think I make enough to justify ever needing over $25K...and frankly it's a liability if my info gets stolen some day so I'm happy. Be prepared to send a lot of documents and to donate your time. I think you could ask for $25K and get it next increase....again if your income supports it. 

Thanks that's a good point. When you say 'if your income supports such a high limit' - is there a rule of thumb in terms of the % of annual income? I'm not sure how to determine what level of limit my income supports. Presumably I should consider both the individual card limit and the total of all limits across all accounts separately, right?

I just wonder if auto lenders (and eventually mortgage lenders) have a certain threshold in terms of CL across all accounts / annual income that would be considered 'too high', or if that's not really the case and card issuers would just sort that out on their own. In other words, what is the 'ideal' total CL on cards as a % of income if one had perfect credit, etc.?

Message 8 of 15
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SecretAzure wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Latest scores:

Thanks that's a good point. When you say 'if your income supports such a high limit' - is there a rule of thumb in terms of the % of annual income? I'm not sure how to determine what level of limit my income supports. Presumably I should consider both the individual card limit and the total of all limits across all accounts separately, right?

I just wonder if auto lenders (and eventually mortgage lenders) have a certain threshold in terms of CL across all accounts / annual income that would be considered 'too high', or if that's not really the case and card issuers would just sort that out on their own. In other words, what is the 'ideal' total CL on cards as a % of income if one had perfect credit, etc.?

Here I'll have to bow out because I'm not the most informed on this topic so take what I'm about to say lightly. I believe it's across all accounts (for Amex)...and your income matters to each lender differently. One lender might say if you make 30K they're fine with extending you $30K in credit limit across all your accounts with them. Another might only give you $10K with the same income. It really depends on the lender. Also, how much available credit (across all lenders) also matters and some are sensative to this (Penfed, etc). Lets see what others have to say about this though. Congrats on your increase though!

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the thread (warning its huge) that you will want to look at.  Income verification usually comes around the mid 30's, 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/181107...

Good luck!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.