Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI Denied (kind of sad)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CLI Denied (kind of sad)

I thought my rebuilding was going well but I guess not. I have never had a CLI so i thought I would give it a shot.  I have had the freedm two years. Current CL 5500, balance of 1500.  Overall utilization across all cards of 21%. Current EX Fico of 712 up from low 500's three years ago.  Only negative on EX is a 30 day late from 51 months ago.  Sort of dissapointed.  I really thought I was doing good but I guess not. I assume no recons are possible?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLI Denied (kind of sad)

The problem was likely your utilization.  High 20's on the card you were requesting it on and 21% aggregate isn't ideal.  I never recommend requesting CLIs unless you're in the 1%-9% range in both aggregate utilization as well as utilization on the card you're requesting the CLI on.  If you've got excellent credit scores and a super clean report perhaps you can get away with a little higher utilization, but in general I don't think it's a good look.  If you can take your utilization down immediately and call and recon you may get a different answer, but otherwise most likely not.  I assume they hit you with a standard HP when you requested the CLI? 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought my rebuilding was going well but I guess not. I have never had a CLI so i thought I would give it a shot.  I have had the freedm two years. Current CL 5500, balance of 1500.  Overall utilization across all cards of 21%. Current EX Fico of 712 up from low 500's three years ago.  Only negative on EX is a 30 day late from 51 months ago.  Sort of dissapointed.  I really thought I was doing good but I guess not. I assume no recons are possible?

I can relate to the disappointment but keep grinding...just a small denial not a huge setback and it's fixable.....Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can absolutely recon, just be prepared to speak with a credit analyst.  Don't feel bad though, I tried for a CLI on my circa-2007 $4200 Freedom last year - had about 20 points on you and no negatives but util was around 28% (none on that card, but it had been seeing about $1000 in spend a month for about 5 months).  Declined and ended up being declined with the recon even though the analyst (after grilling me thoroughly) left it sounding like it should be an approval but I'd know in a few days.  I tried again on New Years Eve and still declined, but immediately got an approval for $12k on a CSP at lowest APR, which made no sense but I've shuffled some credit lines around.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Let me ask your income?

If it's 20-40k then I feel like $5,500 is a good CL which is why Chase Denied you for a CLI, if it's 50k + then you may be able to recon it.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's 20-40k then I feel like $5,500 is a good CL which is why Chase Denied you for a CLI, if it's 50k + then you may be able to recon it.

I feel worse then. 130K

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem was likely your utilization.  High 20's on the card you were requesting it on and 21% aggregate isn't ideal.  I never recommend requesting CLIs unless you're in the 1%-9% range in both aggregate utilization as well as utilization on the card you're requesting the CLI on.  If you've got excellent credit scores and a super clean report perhaps you can get away with a little higher utilization, but in general I don't think it's a good look.  If you can take your utilization down immediately and call and recon you may get a different answer, but otherwise most likely not.  I assume they hit you with a standard HP when you requested the CLI? 

yup. HP on EXP

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm - Is there any 1 or 2 cards you have with over 50% Utilization individually? That also is taken into consideration.

You should receive a denial letter saying why they denied you CLI request.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd recommend going the recon route as suggested above.  If you can pay your individual card and aggregate utilization down to 1%-9% first I think that would be ideal.

Message 9 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel worse then. 130K

Cheering you up again... 210ish and denied.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.