cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Application and THE WAIT. (and THE EDITED IN APPROVAL)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Application and THE WAIT. (and THE EDITED IN APPROVAL)

Short version first. Chase Freedom application sent in, got the fraud alert letter, called in and got a text verification, was told to fax in DL and utility, did so, waited a few days, got the 2 weeks message, hopefully will have an awesome card and be super cool and amazing with my new card PLEASE GIVE ME THE CARD CHASE THANKS. Onto the long version.

I've been lurking around the forums for a bit, gathering info in that obsessive way one does. Figured I would make this post for posterity, in case there needs to be one more piece of data regarding the "two week" message. Are you searching the forum for "2 week" instead of "two week"? I got your back.

To start, I put in an app 07/10/16 and received a fraud alert letter that was mailed on the 16th. I called in on the 20th and was asked to verify my social and address. They then sent a text message to verify my number. After that I was asked to fax/mail in a copy of my license and a utility bill. On the morning of the 22nd I faxed in a cable bill and my license (through hellofax, instead of the real deal) then waited a while before calling the automated status line. I was told to wait 7 to 10 days to receive a letter, which of course was moreso in regard to my verification letter I had already received, instead of my actual decision. 

On Sunday the 24th I was a little worried a cable bill wouldn't cover it, so I faxed in my electricity bill and license. Yesterday (Monday the 25th) I called the verification department again to make sure they received my information, I was told it was received and to wait two weeks "for card or decision letter." I checked the status line a few minutes later and I was told by robo-lady I would be "notified in writing of our decision in approximately two weeks."

That's where it all stands now. I'm hopeful this is an approval, but we'll just have to see. It would actually be my first card. As for how good my credit looks, I have one mysterious account in collection from 2013 that I'm trying to dispute (133 dollars) and 5 hard pull inquiries from a few other cards I tried to get before my dumb self went for a card with my actual bank that has given me good loving. I have no idea why my history is so boring, I guess I'm just a robot person in regard to finances. Side note: I've been with Chase for about 5 years and have a decent enough standing with them. Checking with direct deposit and teeny savings that I just opened.

So, what do you ladies and gentlemen think? Is this an approval? From what I've read, I'm kind of assuming so. My credit history is the only thing casting doubt, but my last internal score with Chase was (I think) in the high 600's. PLEASE COMFORT ME, I WANT THIS CARD IN MY LIFE.

Thanks for what you all collectively do around here. I'll of course update as this progresses. Hopefully it's one more "two weeks equals approval" post. Weee!

Edit: Totally was one more "two weeks equals approval" yay me. Approved around 5 pm on July 28th. Saw card added to account, and heard approval congratulations through the automated line.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Application and THE WAIT.

Aaaand today it turned into an approval, around 5 PM. Information showed up in my account, and the automated line changed to an approval as well. 

Little disappointed in the limit (500) but I understand it with my lack of history. I'm unfortunately waaay short with that limit to get the lenses I need for my camera, boo.

Message 2 of 8
Calistal
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Sorry you didn't get the SL you wanted. 

Starting Scores : EQ: 593 // TU: 571 // EX: 595 ~~5/2023 : TU: 823 // EX: 831 // EQ: 838
TCLs: 144k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Smiley Happy

It's better than nothing, least I got started. I considered calling to see if I could get a higher limit considering I have something specific to do with it, but I dunno. 

Message 4 of 8
BeeH11
Regular Contributor

Congrats. I got really good auto CLI by just heavy usage. I'm sure it'll grow!
Chase Sapphire Reserve. Chase Freedom Unlimited. Amex Gold. Amex Everyday. Discover It. Capital One QuickSilver. Bloomingdales. Victoria Secret.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Now I guess I have to go and spend all the monies, and so on, and so on, FOREVER. Until 1 billion dollar CLI. Sigh. One trillion billion dollars forever. Sounds good.

Message 6 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. Smiley Happy

It's better than nothing, least I got started. I considered calling to see if I could get a higher limit considering I have something specific to do with it, but I dunno. 

The 500 limit is a borderline approval, so calling to recon the limit is just going to result in a wasted HP IMO. Just use the card awhile and build history, then you can do a HP CLI request and hopefully get it bumped up.

It's a shame it was so much hassle to get approved for a toy limit, but you have to start somewhere. Congrats.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. The urge to bother them was strong, but I know I won't die if I hang onto it and use it with it's current limit for a while.

Since I was going to use it to boost the quality of my filming gear I found myself pretty bummed at the lack of new goodies. I mentally adjusted my train of thought last night to what I need to do, what things I can wait on, get a cheaper version of, or just not get at all. In the end it was probably a better thing for me, creatively speaking. Most of the stuff I can honestly pay for out of pocket, but getting a huge limit was an excuse for me to be a little more frivolous with my money. Now I'm back to my problem solving, and a lot of good usually comes out of that and saves me money for even larger projects.

As for the card, should I just use it as a day to day spender and pay it off immediately? Should I try to carry a balance on it until after the "payment" is due? I know I can extensively research around here and get just the right answer, I figured I would ask since the thread was already open.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.