Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom CLI story

tag
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Chase Freedom CLI story

Moms freedom card turned 6 months about a month ago, so I decided to experiment with how Chase goes about CLIs. Her CL was 1000 on the freedom. Basically called them and got put on phone with an underwriter, I think. Now heres the interesting part, he asked what limit i wanted and I said 4000. I mentioned to him that I (my mom) has an AMEX with a 3600 and a Discover for 4500 and that I'd appreciate if Chase can get up between them 2. Asked reason and I said 1000 limit too small and I hatd having to worry about going above it and making a bunch of payments throughout the month. He put me on hold and came back with good news: I got the 4000 limit.

Now heres the bad part: moms TU and EX were both hit with inquirys from this. Not sure about EQ. Did not think theyd pull 2 reports for a CLI. Possibly because I asked for such a high increase (4x)? Oh well, I'll personally never ask them for CLI now that I know.
TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom CLI story

@kostyan1992 wrote:
Moms freedom card turned 6 months about a month ago, so I decided to experiment with how Chase goes about CLIs. Her CL was 1000 on the freedom. Basically called them and got put on phone with an underwriter, I think. Now heres the interesting part, he asked what limit i wanted and I said 4000. I mentioned to him that I (my mom) has an AMEX with a 3600 and a Discover for 4500 and that I'd appreciate if Chase can get up between them 2. Asked reason and I said 1000 limit too small and I hatd having to worry about going above it and making a bunch of payments throughout the month. He put me on hold and came back with good news: I got the 4000 limit.

Now heres the bad part: moms TU and EX were both hit with inquirys from this. Not sure about EQ. Did not think theyd pull 2 reports for a CLI. Possibly because I asked for such a high increase (4x)? Oh well, I'll personally never ask them for CLI now that I know.

With my freedom, I always ask for a number that I know that they will decline, like 30k. Then I recon and they tell me that they cannot give me 30k, but they can offer me x...where x = the most that they are willing to extend to me at that time. I have never been hit with more than one total inq (cli request + recon = 1 inq on EX). Taking some sort of stand by never asking for a cli is an interesting strategy...

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats to DM! They have the right to pull all three if borderline.  A lesson for all of us. Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

I have always heard "If the first pull is below a certain score range or contains any negs, Chase will do the second pull". People with great scores and no neg's (or even long term experience with chase) seem to get App's and CLI's with 1 HP.  Myself....  Double pull, TU and EX.

data point-   670 scores and tax lien = double pull

Congrats on the CLI regardless  :]

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 5 of 11
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats to mom

Message 6 of 11
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

Chase always double pulled(EX&TU) me with score >730 Smiley Frustrated Not sure what is borderline score for them.

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 8 of 11
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS to your mom!!!

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 9 of 11
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Congrats to your mother!! That is odd they pulled twice on you, when I recon'd my Slate initial limit they only pulled TU twice total

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.