Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Increase declined, then received e-mail asking for income

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Increase declined, then received e-mail asking for income

Hello everyone, so I will be as concise as I can, I use to work for JP and they gave me a starting limit of 1500 (I was like 20) like 5 years ago. Fast forward, I won a lawsuit against them but prior to that they dropped my limit to 300! I did at the time have bad subprime cards with poor limits and at that age didn't fully grasp or care about credit.

Fast forward to today my credit score is mid 700's, plenty of great cards with $X,XXX.XX limits PLENTY for me. Chase STILL keeps my limit at 300! My other cards are always giving me increases auto.

I applied twice for a line increase most recently two days with Chase and it was denied - so I traded up my points on my Freedom and will use my other cards I asked for it to be reviewed, they still turned me down. Oh I literally have never gone over my limit or been late on a payment in the 5+ years of having the account. I refuse to use it until they change the limit (I wonder how soon they will close it for non use)

So today at like 5pm 9/28 I received an e-mail asking me to update my income! I provided 107k per anum. I just thought the timing was strange. I subsequently forwarded the e-mail to chase abuse, but I had already verified my name and address after I logged into my account and then provided my income and saved it.

I read people say they got a similar correspondence from Chase and got an increase, I don't know but the site looked legit and it did have all my information so I don't think it was a phishing attack. I was just more curious about the income request when literally 24hrs before I gave my income on the credit line increase so idk....any personal experiences with this would be most appreciated

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Increase declined, then received e-mail asking for income

strange,indeed...haven't heard of a issue like this with with JP
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase responded saying it was them that sent the email. Oh well, I will just put my spend on my other accounts
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious....what reasons are they giving for your denial? 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me and you both, I dont think Chase likes me at all - so now my limit has been floating between $2,000 - $15,000 on cards and Chase refuse to give me an increase on my $500 Amazon. I went to EO with no results - they pretty much tells me to take it or leave it kinda deal. Well then I just SD that little card till I can really use it later.

Message 5 of 9
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Me and you both, I dont think Chase likes me at all - so now my limit has been floating between $2,000 - $15,000 on cards and Chase refuse to give me an increase on my $500 Amazon. I went to EO with no results - they pretty much tells me to take it or leave it kinda deal. Well then I just SD that little card till I can really use it later.

Chase's EO will stand behind their Underwriters/Credit analysts.  As you found out that yields no results.

@OP sorry about a pretty worthless CL..  Just use it on the 5x cats if you can and pay before statements cut that way they lose money on you

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea they are pretty annoying, but I digress I am just gonna use my other accounts, the Freedom is locked away I will check it to make sure no fraud, but I usually pay it off right as I make a purchas,I used to charge pay charge pay using the credit line for a few months and they did nothing so oh well...I just think Chase uses a different credit scoring system, I just got a BuyPower card with a hefty limit so my credit is fine, lendors just look for a reason to deny you, plus I think since I won my legal case against the company years ago and they had to pay me, perhaps they are still bitter.

But I read so many negative things about them on cosumer affairs, I really am not upset, or I shouldn't be anyways when I have better or the same type of rewards on other cards so I don't "need"  it but its the principal. I didn't even open the letter to read their "reason"  a day before I opened up my BuyPower approval, pre approval at that with again a hefty limit so oh well JP Morg, I don't even have a checking account with them anymore cause of their annoying "policies" 

I don't care WHAT credit scoring system you use or excuse you give to deny someone an increase, when you go from 1500 to 300 for 5+yrs and you have never missed a payment, carry a balance, pay a balance etc. your SYSTEM doesn't even see fit to do the paltry $200+ incremental increases just because o_0 - something in the milk ain't clean.....

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea they are pretty annoying, but I digress I am just gonna use my other accounts, the Freedom is locked away I will check it to make sure no fraud, but I usually pay it off right as I make a purchas,I used to charge pay charge pay using the credit line for a few months and they did nothing so oh well...I just think Chase uses a different credit scoring system, I just got a BuyPower card with a hefty limit so my credit is fine, lendors just look for a reason to deny you, plus I think since I won my legal case against the company years ago and they had to pay me, perhaps they are still bitter.

But I read so many negative things about them on cosumer affairs, I really am not upset, or I shouldn't be anyways when I have better or the same type of rewards on other cards so I don't "need"  it but its the principal. I didn't even open the letter to read their "reason"  a day before I opened up my BuyPower approval, pre approval at that with again a hefty limit so oh well JP Morg, I don't even have a checking account with them anymore cause of their annoying "policies" 

I don't care WHAT credit scoring system you use or excuse you give to deny someone an increase, when you go from 1500 to 300 for 5+yrs and you have never missed a payment, carry a balance, pay a balance etc. your SYSTEM doesn't even see fit to do the paltry $200+ incremental increases just because o_0 - something in the milk ain't clean.....

With everything you know about them, why would you waste a HP for a CLI? I'm not being a smart aleck. I'm genuinely curious. Thanks in advance for your response.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to give it one last go, it's my oldest credit card aged account or whatever. But now I don't care what they do with the card, I tried.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.