Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom vs Discover IT - need high credit limit card

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom vs Discover IT - need high credit limit card

Is there a reason you are not trying to raise the credit limit on the CapOne $750? That is a lot of history with that card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the mini-spree! Some good cards there.

Message 12 of 22
TruBlu
Contributor

Chase is widely believed to give larger limits on subsequent cards, provided you are not an your internal limit. Knowing this and having experienced this myself, I'd say your best bet is the Freedom.
If inqs aren't a concern, you may want to consider apping for both? Although there maybe some overlap, you really can't go wrong with the 5% cash back on either. Then you can let responsible use and aging work their magic towards greater limits.
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for all your replies Smiley Happy

I decided to go with Chase Freedom and guees what?

I got instantly approved for $10,200 and 13.99 APR and will get the card in 7-10 days

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for all your replies Smiley Happy

I decided to go with Chase Freedom and guees what?

I got instantly approved for $10,200 and 13.99 APR and will get the card in 7-10 days

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations! Wow! I don't remember hearing of a starting limit on the Freedom higher than that! (There probably have been, I just haven't heard of any)

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am so suprsied too!  I was hoping to get $6000 the most.   ...And that instant approval, I thought I will be waiting for days.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's an amazing limit! Congrats!

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Is there a reason you are not trying to raise the credit limit on the CapOne $750? That is a lot of history with that card.

Yep, there is a reason.  That was my first card ( Capital One Platinum) that I ever got.  At the beginning they gave me $500 and 23%. APR.  Just recently (about a month ago) they bumped the limit to $750 but the APR hasn't changed.  About last week I received another card from them with the same card number but it's Quicksilver

I haven't activated it yet.  Do you think I should do it?   I dont want a hard hit on my credit history.and my original Platinum expires in April 2015

Message 18 of 22
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Sure activate it.  Either you app'd for a QS in addition to your Plat, in which case, you have already taken the hit.  The HP/INQs are on your CR's and the new tradeline will report no matter if you activate it or not.

Or the more likely answer is you did a product change (PC) when you got the CLI.  If it is a product change all of the history for your old Plat will be moved to the new QS.    Basically, it will look the same on your credit report but be a 1.5% cash back card.   If the CC number is the same, then it is definitely a PC.  If not then it may or may not be a PC.

Congratulations on the Freedom approval.  

Message 19 of 22
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Congrats! and that will be a Signature card also. Nice APR too, you did well my Friend.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.