Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase IHG denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase IHG denial

Hello everyone

I applied for Chase IHG on Wed. And got a 7-10 msg. Called immediately for results. Credit analyst said I was denied due to high risk of extending me credit. Called recon, asked for income, for which is low that I'm a college student, the recon person told me that due to my low income, they cannot approve me, maybe I should wait till my graduation.

The next day, i drove an hour to a Chase branch, a friendly banker submitted a special consideration for me and told me to wait till after the weekend. How good is my chance? I am very anxious.

Ps. I have a travel rewards (2000) for 1 yr and 4 mo, discover it (1500) for 5 mo, and amex ED (10k) for 5 mo.

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase IHG denial

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone

I applied for Chase IHG on Wed. And got a 7-10 msg. Called immediately for results. Credit analyst said I was denied due to high risk of extending me credit. Called recon, asked for income, for which is low that I'm a college student, the recon person told me that due to my low income, they cannot approve me, maybe I should wait till my graduation.

The next day, i drove an hour to a Chase branch, a friendly banker submitted a special consideration for me and told me to wait till after the weekend. How good is my chance? I am very anxious.

Ps. I have a travel rewards (2000) for 1 yr and 4 mo, discover it (1500) for 5 mo, and amex ED (10k) for 5 mo.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your income..

Message 2 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance.

Depends on your income..

Yes, would depend on income, however:

Big Kudos for the persistence! You spent that HP, get as much mileage out of it through recon as you can! Smiley Happy Let's go talk to a banker!

You can put that on your resume after graduation: "Maximized utilization of personal credit file and showed persistence and ingenuity in resolving questions posed by multiple bankers through all available communication channels".

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. I don't have much income as a college student. I will try to give a call again tmr.
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys. I don't have much income as a college student. I will try to give a call again tmr.

Kay, good luck.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance.

Did you check the chase pre approve site ? chances are not looking too good but hope for the best. Good luck!

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

They didn't offer me any pre approval.
Just called in again, with special consideration, they still turned me down due to my income. Maybe should i decrease my amex cl a little bit? The credit/income ratio might be too high. Though, according to Chase, money from family doesn't count as income at all.
Message 7 of 25
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

I'm just gonna say to use whatever money you can get whether through family or job as income....that's just me though

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 8 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

I'm just gonna say to use whatever money you can get whether through family or job as income....that's just me though

Really after they just said you can't use your parents/family income?   I am sorry this subject touches a soar spot for me personally.. Just become and AU on your paren't card, don't lie about your income when the lender just said you can't include it.. How much more clear can they be?  I know this is normal for alot of people to do, but doesn't mean it is right.  Hence how alot of people on this forum had to rebuild due to sutff they couldn't pay back, nor were there parents willing to help.  Not saying this is the op's case,  Just my 2 cents.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I've told them that the majority of income I wrote is from my family. I called EO, she will get back to me in one to two days. I just can't take no from Chase for an answer.
Maybe I should decrease my amex cl, that might be too high for me.
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.