Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase SP - Should I wait?

tag
stylenjen
Established Member

Chase SP - Should I wait?

I really want the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, however I'm not sure if I should take the inquiry hit on my credit score. I've recently (within the last two months) opened a Capital One Venture card and a Discover IT card. Also, I have a bankruptcy on my report (which I know Chase doesn't like), but it's due to fall off my report in four months. I have a credit score of 704. Would they even consider me now or should I wait four to five months when my bankruptcy is gone? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase SP - Should I wait?

As long as you've not applied for more than 6 cards within the previous year, you should be ok to take the hit. Any more apps than that and a denial may come.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 2 of 7
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@stylenjen wrote:

I really want the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, however I'm not sure if I should take the inquiry hit on my credit score. I've recently (within the last two months) opened a Capital One Venture card and a Discover IT card. Also, I have a bankruptcy on my report (which I know Chase doesn't like), but it's due to fall off my report in four months. I have a credit score of 704. Would they even consider me now or should I wait four to five months when my bankruptcy is gone? 

If the bankruptcy falls off in 4 or 5 months, you're better off as you may get a much higher limit and wouldn't have to worry about the denial being a Bankruptcy. Remember, Patience is a virtue at times and creditors like Chase definitely will make decicions on prior baddies from 6.5 years ago. Not to mention it can be the determining factor of getting a 5k and a 10k approval. 

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Wait to optimize results 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with myjourney, I would wait OP. CSP will still be there Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stylenjen wrote:

Wait for your bankruptcy to fall off before applying...  That will increas your chance of getting the card approved.

Message 6 of 7
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stylenjen wrote:

Wait for your bankruptcy to fall off before applying...  That will increas your chance of getting the card approved.

This+Increases your starting credit limit if you do get approved! Too much new credit makes lenders nervous! Smiley Wink

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.