Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred Pre-approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred Pre-approval

I went to the Chase pre-approval site and was pre-approved for 4 cards one of which was the Chase Sapphire Preferred which surprised me given my EX score of 623. My real goal is to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve but I have a few paid collections and lates from a year and a half ago that I think will prevent me from getting that card (and possibly this one). This is also the first time I have applied for new credit in a while. 3 years ago was my last application. I currently only have 2 credit cards (total limit 7.1k) under 30% utilization which I pay the full balance on one every month. What is the best guidance? Should I hold out or apply for the CSP and prove to Chase I will be able to handle the Reserve?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred Pre-approval

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to the Chase pre-approval site and was pre-approved for 4 cards one of which was the Chase Sapphire Preferred which surprised me given my EX score of 623. My real goal is to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve but I have a few paid collections and lates from a year and a half ago that I think will prevent me from getting that card (and possibly this one). This is also the first time I have applied for new credit in a while. 3 years ago was my last application. I currently only have 2 credit cards (total limit 7.1k) under 30% utilization which I pay the full balance on one every month. What is the best guidance? Should I hold out or apply for the CSP and prove to Chase I will be able to handle the Reserve?

Chase will no longer issue both a CSP and a CSR to new cardholders* although they grandfathered in those people who already held both when they put the new restriction in place a couple of months ago.  The way things now stand, unless one already holds multiple Sapphire cards they are restricted to only have 1 card in that family (CSP, CSR, or plain Sapphire).

You can always apply for the CSP and in a year PC it to to a CSR if at that time you can meet the CSR's minimum $10K CL.  Given that the standard SUB nowadays is the same for both cards and the CSP has a $5K minimum CL this is the path I'd suggest, assuming that your app was successful.  Based on your current score and your existing card count and aggregate credit limits even a prequal for the CSP may not be 100% solid.

* There is a trick where some people have reported success in applying same-day for both cards. The caveat there is that they have a minimum $8K/90 day spend in order to collect both SUB. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the pre-approval/pre-qual offers as they are pretty solid. Like the other poster mentioned you can only have one Sapphire card and one sign up bonus within a card family. So if you got the CSP and the 50k bonus you wont be able to get the bonus for the CSR. So you can either get the CSP and product change after a year or get another card like the Freedom and then apply for the CSR after 6-12 months.

Another thing to consider, pay off the card balance before the statement cut off date. If you leave a small balance that gets you under 10% your score will increase and you would get a higher credit line.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of taking the guidance here, I went ahead and just applied for the CSR. I felt good about it with the pre-approvals for the other cards. Immediately after submitting the app, Experian notified me of a hard pull on my credit report. I called the lending department today and they say it is pending verification but the verification dept is closed today, so I will have to call tomorrow. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an update in the Credit Card Approvals forum Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase will no longer issue both a CSP and a CSR to new cardholders* although they grandfathered in those people who already held both when they put the new restriction in place a couple of months ago.  The way things now stand, unless one already holds multiple Sapphire cards they are restricted to only have 1 card in that family (CSP, CSR, or plain Sapphire).

You can always apply for the CSP and in a year PC it to to a CSR if at that time you can meet the CSR's minimum $10K CL.  Given that the standard SUB nowadays is the same for both cards and the CSP has a $5K minimum CL this is the path I'd suggest, assuming that your app was successful.  Based on your current score and your existing card count and aggregate credit limits even a prequal for the CSP may not be 100% solid.

* There is a trick where some people have reported success in applying same-day for both cards. The caveat there is that they have a minimum $8K/90 day spend in order to collect both SUB. 

Great Info.

Message 6 of 9
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

What is this x/24 I keep reading about. Can someone please explain?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SwiftTone wrote:

What is this x/24 I keep reading about. Can someone please explain?

Type 5/24 into the searchbar here and you'll find endless discussion about it.  No need to regurgitate something that has been well covered here for the past year!

Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

This thread is locked and closed to new messages.

The new thread can be found here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Chase-Sapphire-Reserve-Approval/m-p/5105561

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.