cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card declined due to many credit cards opened in the last 2 years

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card declined due to many credit cards opened in the last 2 years

I applied for a Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card in this month (EX=720, no balance, >10 inq in the last two years). The application was declined due to too many credit cards opened in the last two years.

In the last year I opened ~7 credit cards. Is it feasibe that I get accepted if I improve my EX credit score above e.g. 740 after a few months? Shall I wait for >1 year to satisfy the mentioned decline reason and afterward, apply for this card?

I need some travel credit cards and this card looks excellent, but not sure when I would be eligible for it in a close future.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
6 REPLIES 6
trant3
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card declined due to many credit cards opened in the last 2 year

5/24 rule, no way around it

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card declined due to many credit cards opened in the last 2 year

If you've opened 5 in the last 24 you'll be denied regardless of score. Go for one of their co-branded cards not under the 5/24 rule or don't app for anything until next year. If you want the CSPSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@trant3 wrote:

5/24 rule, no way around it

This pretty much. To expand Chase won't let any apps be approved if you have opened 5 new accounts in the past 24 months (believe this also includes AU accounts). Co-branded cards like the IHG are fine since they don't fall under 5/24 but everything else is.

Message 4 of 7
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

OK. Does any other credit card brand (Citi, Discover, Capital One, etc.) have a similar condition regading the number of opened accounts in the last years?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xenon3030 wrote:

OK. Does any other credit card brand (Citi, Discover, Capital One, etc.) have a similar condition regading the number of opened accounts in the last years?

Nope. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, sorry the hear about your denial.  The 5/24 rule is one of the most commonly talked about things when it comes to Chase apps.  Going forward just to sort of preserve yourself, I'd strongly suggest reading on this forum a bit more before you pull the trigger on things.  Definitely research the product(s) or topics that you're interested in before making any decisions so that you can avoid adverse results.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.