Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase freedom recon help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase freedom recon help

hello all. I'd like some help getting the Chase Freedom! I applied last week and received an immediate 7 to 10. I received the denial letter today and it states "too many requests for credit or opened account with us" and "credit card balances grew too fast compared to limit/ time on file". I do have an Amazon chase with $1000 limit and about 90 percent usage. the thing is there are only three charges on the card. a 600 dollar payment to fix my minivan 200 dollar car payment and my Amazon Prime was automatically charged to that card. how should I proceed with the Recon line? Do you think mentioning that only three charges have been made will help my case? should I wait to pay some of it down and try again in 30 days? this is my goal card and would love to obtain this card even if its only with a toy limit. Ex 644 EQ 639 TU ?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase freedom recon help

It really does not matter how many diff charges you have. The fact is that your util is too high. Pay it down and try again later maybe? But I also want to point out that you only have a 1000 initial limit on your Amazon card and I can't see them giving you much more than that on any other card so soon but YMMV. You may want to wait a few months. Do you have any other cards?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have capital one platinum $265/$800, Amazon store card $220/$800, and still waiting for a qs1 $500 limit in the mail. Thanks for responding!
I know the Amazon Chase is high I was planning on transferring 200 to the qs1 for the intro apr and paying another $200 this weekend.
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes I have capital one platinum $265/$800, Amazon store card $220/$800, and still waiting for a qs1 $500 limit in the mail. Thanks for responding!
I know the Amazon Chase is high I was planning on transferring 200 to the qs1 for the intro apr and paying another $200 this weekend.

As mentioned in the above post, your utilization might be a bit of a stretch for them at this moment.  Not just with the Chase Amazon CC, but with your overall tradelines.  Combined with any number of recent inquiries (or anything else they may see as a ngeative factor) might be a little tough sell in overturning their decision.

You definitely do not want to get trapped with a small CL (unless you are desperate) since not only will it be a challenge to grow, but you will also be stuck with not the very best APR terms.  Bottom line, the Freedom CC isn't going anywhere and there's a better sign-up promotion ($200) that will return at some point in the future.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not that desperate just really wanted to be approved! I also heard a product change from the Amazon cc to the freedom is a possibility as well maybe I'll try for that when that card is 6 months old. Do they give you the promotion when you pc?
Message 5 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm not that desperate just really wanted to be approved! I also heard a product change from the Amazon cc to the freedom is a possibility as well maybe I'll try for that when that card is 6 months old. Do they give you the promotion when you pc?

Unfortunately, you will not qualify for any promotions when you PC and your current card needs to be open for 12 months before Chase can entertain a PC.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the help! I'll wait for that $200 promotion you spoke of to come around... Hopefully sometime this year. Thanks again!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I app'd for the freedom 2days ago with csp and slate approved in 2 months, received the 7 - 10 message also.

I called the recon number this morning and the analyst said I was denied for 4 reasons, two about recent credit request, one for high util (20% on csp and 29% total, one for not enough history.

I requested a recon and she asked my income, jobs, and HELP HER UNDERSTAND MY RECENT INQUIRIES (the key question). I explained to her that I was looking for good reward card but found out freedom would be the best choice because of the csp/freedom combo. Put me on hold for 6 mins and approved the freedom(5k cl).
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay I emailed EO and reached out through Twitter I should get a call tomorrow
Message 9 of 11
ddemari
Super Contributor

from my experience with chase, when you have only a few cards and they all have balances over 20 to 30 percent used and your fico score is under 650, it is hard to get in with an average person salary. 

But if you can get your card to have a small balance when you apply and 0 balance on another, even if your score is under 650 they would probably let you in. i had low scores a year ago and went from having toy limits to big limits within a year by apping only when my reports had amazing utilization, now that my fico score is a lot higher. I can have balances reporting on several cards due to not micromanaging and seem to always get a new chase card lol. But it took a lot of micromanaging to get there if that makes any sense. 

you might luck out and the eo will let u right in though! so good luck! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.