Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase/maxxed card/new card approval

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Chase/maxxed card/new card approval

Before the ERT gets called or any of the usual ba**busters start on their mission;
Be forewarned- I am in no hurry to app.

Just a question:
Would Chase approve me for a CSP if I have a near maxxed out $5k Freedom?

My Freedom is maxxed just bc it's in the 0% period; it won't end til Nov. Ive been paying 5-10% of the bal on avg each month. I will PIF before the interest begins accruing so if I decide, I could wait until that util is <30%, nbd.

STATS:
Fico: 680-720 across the board +/- 20 pts.
Aaoa: 3+ years
Util: 10%

I also have a Slate and a Platinum, which had 700 & 3200 cls- they are closed and pif, and are from 07-08.
Oh and I've tried that "pre-approval" thing on the site. It never works lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Chase/maxxed card/new card approval

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Before the ERT gets called or any of the usual ba**busters start on their mission;
Be forewarned- I am in no hurry to app.

Just a question:
Would Chase approve me for a CSP if I have a near maxxed out $5k Freedom?

My Freedom is maxxed just bc it's in the 0% period; it won't end til Nov. Ive been paying 5-10% of the bal on avg each month. I will PIF before the interest begins accruing so if I decide, I could wait until that util is <30%, nbd.

STATS:
Fico: 680-720 across the board +/- 20 pts.
Aaoa: 3+ years
Util: 10%

I also have a Slate and a Platinum, which had 700 & 3200 cls- they are closed and pif, and are from 07-08.
Oh and I've tried that "pre-approval" thing on the site. It never works lol

I don't think you would have any problems.

Message 2 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Has your new CLI for Amex reported yet? Has Amex Delta reported yet?
Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would say yes that could be a problem. Id wait until youve gotten it around 30% then app.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
I would say yes that could be a problem. Id wait until youve gotten it around 30% then app.

Agreed. Especially if it's a balance that is being carried. I recently could only get a certain amount approved on the Chase Freedom when I had a 4000 balance on it(the charges were only two weeks old). I paid it off and the next day I was able to get a 4000 credit limit increase, so I say they do like balances to be paid before seeking new credit.

Message 5 of 17
Buckeye07
Established Member

I recently applied for a Freedom with a 92% UTL on my Slate and was denied.  Called recon and she said I would have to resolve a collection account and get my UTL down on my slate by at least half (this was last week).  I did both of those and was approved on 2nd recon (got my balance down to 0).  BTW if youre applying for a chase card and are worried about your current chase CC balance, you can make a payment and when you call for recon they can see youve made the payment and UTL is down, you dont have to wait for it to be reported to the bureaus because they can access your account and take into consideration.  Thats what I did.

Message 6 of 17
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

IMO you would be approved.

If you dont mind me asking why would you be think about getting another card? 

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 7 of 17
isoldmyatlas
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

+1, if you're truly in no rush to app, holding off until then shouldn't be a problem.

TU: 793 (6/13/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 788 (6/15/18)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $40,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013); Citi Home Depot $8,000 (06/2018)
Message 8 of 17
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

From my experience Chase is utilization sensitive, I would make sure your freedom card is the only card you have a balance on before you applied.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 9 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

Young, I would recommend you wait. Your scores are affected now because of the maxed out card being reported. If you are to apply now, you will be doing yourself a disservice by getting approved for a lower CL than what you should have gotten otherwise. Since you are not in a hurry, its best to just wait because CLIs for chase are going to be additional HPs as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.