Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi AA Executive - Apply or Upgrade?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi AA Executive - Apply or Upgrade?

I currently have the Citi AA Platinum Select, I got it a year ago. I've been considering upgrading to the Executive as most of my travel is in AA. Here's my dilemma: do I upgrade my AA Platinum to the Executive and save a hit/AAoA drop or do I cold-apply for a new one. 

I won't be eligible for the bonus either way, as I got an AA card in the last 24 months. The pro for cold-applying is I get to keep the Plat for the 10% mileage rebate, but other than that it just becomes a bit useless. I could, in the future downgrade to the Gold/Bronze as to not lose the history. 

My TU FICO is :735 / 1 INQ

My EXP: is 744 / 4 INQ

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi AA Executive - Apply or Upgrade?

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have the Citi AA Platinum Select, I got it a year ago. I've been considering upgrading to the Executive as most of my travel is in AA. Here's my dilemma: do I upgrade my AA Platinum to the Executive and save a hit/AAoA drop or do I cold-apply for a new one. 

I won't be eligible for the bonus either way, as I got an AA card in the last 24 months. The pro for cold-applying is I get to keep the Plat for the 10% mileage rebate, but other than that it just becomes a bit useless. I could, in the future downgrade to the Gold/Bronze as to not lose the history. 

My TU FICO is :735 / 1 INQ

My EXP: is 744 / 4 INQ

Hard to say which is best for you but just so you know, doing either is going to reset the 24 month clock again.  Do you use the Admital lounges enough to justify the AF on the Executive card?   I have the card but not sure I would get it with out any kind of sign up bonus. If it were me, I’d wait the 12 months and then apply for it with a bonus.  In the meantime pay for lounge access.  Probably would be cheaper than $450 if you don’t use them a lot.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.