Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Costco Visa DENIED!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Costco Visa DENIED!

@Anonymous wrote:
It's your FAULT; your approval was the first one I saw, LOL just kidding, but it really was. Congrats on your approval. Yes Citi has always been hard for me, they finally gave me a DC in January with a good APR,
So I can't complain.

Yes, I found Citi hard to break into. It took me from 2001 to 2009 to receive an approval so I share your feelings. They also held me down for three years before opening more card opportunities. Overall, it seems as though some lenders like a person's credit profile and others don't and there are some we can't get into at all.

Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

As difficult as it can seem to be at first, even nesting on those new accounts for only 6 months can make a world of difference.

Been around this very same corner before myself and am still astonished with results of gardening just that little bit.

I think creditmagic hit it on the head.. gardening is always a good thing. Apply for cards you REALLY want for the long term. 

Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. Question what is EO and cli?

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied a week ago and was denied. When I went to apply I knew my FICO score was 744 so I figured I was in like flint. I did the on the spot application and got a form that said call their customer sevice number.  I called the same day and they said I was denied and would get a letter. I got the letter today. The reason was " your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income". That is a suprise to me and here is why. My income is $74,000 per year. My current credit card delbt is only $9000 total so I calculate my debt to inc ratio as 12%. Ins't that pretty low? Is it possible that they are that picky? I don't get that al all. Any response is welcome.

Thanks

I believe Citi is a very conservative lender. I had a credit score in the low 700's at one point, and a card with a $7,800 limit, and they gave me a whooping $1,500 and haven't increased it since. 

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

EO = Executive Offices and cli = credit line/limit increases

Message 25 of 32
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied a week ago and was denied. When I went to apply I knew my FICO score was 744 so I figured I was in like flint. I did the on the spot application and got a form that said call their customer sevice number.  I called the same day and they said I was denied and would get a letter. I got the letter today. The reason was " your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income". That is a suprise to me and here is why. My income is $74,000 per year. My current credit card delbt is only $9000 total so I calculate my debt to inc ratio as 12%. Ins't that pretty low? Is it possible that they are that picky? I don't get that al all. Any response is welcome.

Thanks

I believe Citi is a very conservative lender. I had a credit score in the low 700's at one point, and a card with a $7,800 limit, and they gave me a whooping $1,500 and haven't increased it since. 

Which bureau does Citi DC pull for CLI's?

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 26 of 32
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi is like Chase when it comes to inquiries ...I have a citi Dimond card i was pre-approved for but after that, they have shut me down!   EQ 725 EX 730 TU 740

Message 28 of 32
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi is like Chase when it comes to inquiries ...I have a citi Dimond card i was pre-approved for but after that, they have shut me down!   EQ 725 EX 730 TU 740

From my personal experience and what I have seen, Chase is way more flexible in turns of inquiries!  

My most recent application put me at 6-8 inqiuries the past 6 months. I applied for Citi on my second app and was instantly denied. I applied for Chase on my last app and it went to pending and later approved by moving credits from other card = my 8th or 9th Chase card... I just dont get how Chase likes me more than Citi...

Message 29 of 32
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I woke up this morning and saw all the approvals and decided to pull the trigger. The wheel spun for about a minute then boom denied. Oh well, I've been very active since April; 7 new accounts. I wasn't surprised and not upset as I didn't need it, I just wanted it. I won't recon and just eat the HP.

This was my first loan denial in about two years ( 3 cli's denied within the last 7 months). So I know it's time to give it a rest for a couple of years, I'll try again Fathers Day 2018.

Here's some data points for those interested: EX-706, 15 inquiries on EX, AAoA-4.3 yrs, 6% util. Two 30 days lates from 2.9 years old and oh yeah 7 new accounts since 4/16.

Yeah I dont think you are missing out much on Citi. Once instantly denied. It's nearly impossible to turn that into an approval. 

You could try recon through a Citi branch or EO

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.