cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi: Denied CLI

tag
Regular Contributor

Citi: Denied CLI

"We can't approve your request because you currently have the maximum amount of credit we allow without your consent to obtain and review your updated credit report."

Can anyone further elaborate on the above statement? Or does it literally mean that once a person reaches a threshold, the bank would have to perform a hard pull each time an increase is requested by the card holder?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi: Denied CLI

I'd guess that it means that Citi wants to hard-pull for this increase. But I woudn't assume that they'd want to do it for all future increases.

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

To me it just means you arent eligble at this time. Ive received this with my Citi Dc, took me forever to get my first ever sp cli but before i got it i received this letter. Funny thing is it took me 9 months just to get sp language, never approved, they finally gave me a $600 auto, reset the clock, then they actually took away the sp language. I tried anyway , no dice. When the 6 months officially passed, they ended up giving me a $2200 increase with the well pull a credit report language showing, though i never did get the hp. Sometimes it might refer to uour overall exposure to Citi amongst all Citi backed cards though i may be wronged. One letter did reference this though.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got this message since November 2014. Took a hard inquiry and they turned the request down. Called and a CSR said in my case they would not extend me more credit period as I had the max risk exposure they would give out (income and other credit showing in the credit bureaus). Contacted CIti EO and no luck. Always played the six month rule game between requests.

Message 4 of 12
JSS3
Valued Contributor

I got the same message. Decided to take a hard pull but was denied due to max exposure.
Message 5 of 12
Regular Contributor

As seen in my signature, I only have one account with Citi.

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's Cit, all right. It is like the proverbial pulling teeth to get a CLI with them. Sorry OP.

Message 7 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No sig on mobile but probably with Citi one needs one sometimes lolSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

This is expected.

Something internal or the board that runs things comes out with that in spurts.

I got a similar message sometime over a year ago or more. After a pretty long dry spell without any CLI they eventually came back again. Whether it's a stopgap measure for certain profiles or across the level of cardholders, in my Citicards experience it's not so unusual.

The tell tale sign is when you decide to take the HP or not.

I got nowhere even going through the EO for something as simple as moving limits from a new card to an existing one just this summer. That was worth a usual double-pull i get.

Then barely a week later after that ordeal had my best CLI's from the SP page for BOTH! cards. I ended up closing the one i intended to move limits from.

If anybody ever gets a handle on the how and why by all means share it. No clue on this end and not sure there's a logical way to figure them out either Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

This is expected.

Something internal or the board that runs things comes out with that in spurts.

I got a similar message sometime over a year ago or more. After a pretty long dry spell without any CLI they eventually came back again. Whether it's a stopgap measure for certain profiles or across the level of cardholders, in my Citicards experience it's not so unsual.

The tell tale sign is when you decide to take the HP or not.

I got nowhere even going through the EO for something as simple as moving limits from a new card to an existing one just this summer. That was worth a usual double-pull i get.

Then barely a week later after that ordeal had my best CLI's from the SP page for BOTH! cards. I ended up closing the one i intended to move limits from.

If anybody ever gets a handle on the how and why by all means share it. No clue on this end and not sure there's a logical way to figure them out either Smiley Indifferent

What CM said. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.