cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Diamond Preferred DENIED, too many inquiries.. recon?

tag
trnj88
New Contributor

Citi Diamond Preferred DENIED, too many inquiries.. recon?

Two days ago I applied for a Citi Diamond Preferred.. went out on a limb since I didn't have a pre-qual or anything. I was instantly denied and called the automated status hotline to find out why. Their reason: "Too many recent credit inquiries."

At the time I applied I only had 2 other inquiries. They pulled EX, which my FICO is 714. I had applied for a Chase Freedom and AmEx BCE that same day (both approved), so they probably saw those inquiries, but those were the only two. I've heard Citi can be strict with >6 inquiries.

Has anyone had recon success with Citi in cases like this? My EX (which Citi did pull) is 714 FICO, income $120k, used to be a Citi Student Loan customer but that loan was since sold.. have not otherwise ever had a Citi card. I'm just surprised they considered 2 inquiries "too many".

Is it possible to recon and, if I still don't meet the qualifying factors for the Citi DP, ask for another card instead? Or would that require a new HP?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trnj88
New Contributor

Re: Citi Diamond Preferred DENIED, too many inquiries.. recon?

Bump, just curious if anyone has had a successful Citi recon? I've noticed they're particularly hard to find success stories for.. seems like Citi is not too recon-friendly.

TL;DR -- I applied for a Citi DP last week and was denied due to "too many recent credit inquiries".. They pulled EX (FICO 714), income $120k, and I had only 2 inquiries at time of application. No CC history with Citi.

Thanks

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trnj88 wrote:

Two days ago I applied for a Citi Diamond Preferred.. went out on a limb since I didn't have a pre-qual or anything. I was instantly denied and called the automated status hotline to find out why. Their reason: "Too many recent credit inquiries."

At the time I applied I only had 2 other inquiries. They pulled EX, which my FICO is 714. I had applied for a Chase Freedom and AmEx BCE that same day (both approved), so they probably saw those inquiries, but those were the only two. I've heard Citi can be strict with >6 inquiries.

Has anyone had recon success with Citi in cases like this? My EX (which Citi did pull) is 714 FICO, income $120k, used to be a Citi Student Loan customer but that loan was since sold.. have not otherwise ever had a Citi card. I'm just surprised they considered 2 inquiries "too many".

Is it possible to recon and, if I still don't meet the qualifying factors for the Citi DP, ask for another card instead? Or would that require a new HP?

Thanks

Last year I had the Citi Diamond Preferred and was denied instantly. I immediately called the back door number and said too many inquiries. So I asked for a recon and after 20 minutes they came back with a 1k approval. 6 months later I got a $500 CLI. Closed it last year pretty useless card IMO. Unless you get a high SL and use it for a BT. That's all its good for.

Starting lines are very low.

Message 3 of 8
trnj88
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll give it a shot since I already wasted a hard pull. Who knows.. just concerned that they considered 2 inquiries "too many". These were my first inquiries in 5 years.

Sounds like Citi is getting stingy from things I've read on here lately :/
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you need a long term balance transfer, there is no reason for the Diamond Preferred. 

Citi has always been pretty stringy on initial credit lines for their non Prestige/AAdvantage Executive cards; however, they are one of the best banks for gradual, SP CLIs. 

Message 5 of 8
fritscher
Regular Contributor

Hi i got city double cash 3 weeks ago..had 3 inquiries on my report at the time..739 fico and 72000 income..got approved for 4400 cli

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied citi last year for same thing.  Then did some work & travels and before I knew it 8 months of gardening went by.  Citi was first on my list of apps and it went through by accepting an invite from one of their mailers.

Surprised though with only 2 inq because that's really nothing, anything else they might not be liking?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd certainly call and discuss the reason with them as 2 is far from "too many". Although agreed that that that card is only good for BT so if they you a lowish CL or if you don't need BT, it won't be too useful.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.