cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, or Garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, or Garden?

Gruezi!

After a few months, I've returned to possibly do another small app spree. For those who haven't followed my story:

22-year old college student

Income (combiend with family support): 75'000$

AAoA: 10 months

Experian FICO: 730

Utilization: 10%, Payment History is Flawless

Accounts (Name - Limit - Utilization - Age):

Secured credit card - 650$ - <1% - 18 months

AMEX PRG - NPSL - N/A - 10 months

AMEX DL Gold Skymiles - 10'000$ - 1% - 7 months

Citi DC - 2'000$ - 1% - 8 months

CSP - 6'000$ - 30% - 4 months

Total Credit Availible: 18'650$

The Caviar of the Conversation

So, I'm going abroad again for spring break. I know the expenses could be lopped onto a new card for the sign-up bonus. My goal is to either get one fo those fancy 450$ cards, such as the AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, or Citi AAdvantage Executive. However, I might wait two months for my AAoA to get to 12 months. That is, if it matters anyway since I've gotten this far in less than two years. Which card should I consider? Or should I simply garden out for a bit?

Danke Schon!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, or Garden?

@Anonymous wrote:

Gruezi!

After a few months, I've returned to possibly do another small app spree. For those who haven't followed my story:

So, I'm going abroad again for spring break. I know the expenses could be lopped onto a new card for the sign-up bonus. My goal is to either get one fo those fancy 450$ cards, such as the AMEX Platinum, Citi Prestige, or Citi AAdvantage Executive. However, I might wait two months for my AAoA to get to 12 months. That is, if it matters anyway since I've gotten this far in less than two years. Which card should I consider? Or should I simply garden out for a bit?

Danke Schon!

Amex Platinum would be the easiest to get - but I would not apply for it with less than the elusive 100k bonus (can still be found with incognito mode, VPNs etc but might take a while to show up). 

How long can you wait before you go abroad? If 2 months to hit a full year of history is fine, definitely wait it out.

Message 2 of 8
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

What do you necessarily hope to get from one of the higher end travel cards which you can't get from the CSP? Higher return? Perks? If you're trying to embellish this spring break trip then the Platinum probably gives you more cool stuff than the Prestige, but if it's not absolutely necessary I think it's best to get the AAoA up

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gruezi!

Danke Schon!

Amex Platinum would be the easiest to get - but I would not apply for it with less than the elusive 100k bonus (can still be found with incognito mode, VPNs etc but might take a while to show up). 

How long can you wait before you go abroad? If 2 months to hit a full year of history is fine, definitely wait it out.

The only downfall of waiting will the extra $100 annual fee compared if you just pull the trigger on it and get the 450 annual fee until next year!

Message 4 of 8
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gruezi!

Danke Schon!

The only downfall of waiting will the extra $100 annual fee compared if you just pull the trigger on it and get the 450 annual fee until next year!

The effective annual fee after the change will be 150 though because you get $400 back: $200 airline as usual and $200 uber credit. Of course, this assumes OP has a need for using that much in a year.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious: how would you effectively submit proof of "family support" as income? O.o
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they submitted dad's pay stubs or tax form that would show it I'm sure, especially if the address and last name are the same.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know a lot of people love the AMEX Platinum, but I find it hard to justify when compared to the CSR. If I were you, I would just wait 6 months to fall under 5/24 and get the CSR. I know this doesn't help with spring break, but is probably the best long-term plan IMO.

If you're really dead set on a new card for spring break, the AMEX is far superior to the Citi in most scenarios.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.