Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi for BT; What are my chances?

tag
jkry
Valued Member

Citi for BT; What are my chances?

I am hoping to get some advice. I have a few cards with balances on them, and I am hoping to get enough CL on the citi simplicity or Diamond card to get them all transferred for the 21 months 0% interest.    I have had some inquires this year from car shopping, and new CC accounts.  My FICO says EQ 664 TU 672 and EX 648  According to MyFico I have 1 derogatory item and it says serious delinquent payment on my report.  BUT, it was late car payments over 5 years ago that still on the report of course.  Ugh. .  and a Tax Lien was just removed from EQ.  I've never actually had a real tax lien, as it was placed by the department of labor in 2014. Anyway, any guidance is welcome. Just need a large enough limit to get them all rounded up into one payment if possible.  Thank you!! 

PenFed 6k CL/3300 balance

BBVA Amex 2500 CL/ 1900 balance

Wells Platinum 3000 CL/ 900 balance

Quicksilver 3000 CL/250 balance

FNBO 1100 CL/ 300 balance

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi for BT; What are my chances?

Simplicity is not known for high starting limits but ymmv. Based on information here some folks have had positive results with the Diamond Preferred. Unfortunately, I don't know if your credit profile will support an approval.

The more seasoned myFICOers will be able to provide more help. Good luck!
Message 2 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Agree with Anusara.Citi can be a stickler with their limits. A recent poster did get a 15k sl on the Simplicity but same poster also boasts a couple 20k plus cards so im assumming really high income and their scores were mid 700's. You probably could be approved but i dont think the limit would be sufficient. Any chance you can ask pf for an increase or maybe try anotger cards from PF?
Message 3 of 14
GetMeSlick
Established Contributor

I agree with above posters. Citi Simplicity will start with low SL. atleast that was in my case when i had other cards ranging from 8k to 15k during that time. i think i started wtih $3500 or so. But it grows slowly every 6 months. now it stands at $9k

You may give a try to Citi diamond for its 21 month BT 0% apr. but not sure about the starting limits. and also your scores are less 20-30 points for solid approval from citi.

4/2024 FICO TU-840|EX - 838|EQ -840
Total Credit - $535K+
Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 840
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Gardening since Mar/2024
Message 4 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I came across this thread while researching BT cards. Citi is at the top of my list.  It looks like they pull EX. My score is 748. No liens (they were just removed Smiley Happy ) but I have a BK from 2009. Most of my cards are in the $10K - $17K range.  I want to BT about $8K so I need a healthy limit.   What do you think? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

OP - I regret to say that I don't think Citi would start you off high enough. As Joe suggested, asking PenFed for a CLI may be a better option then doing a BT to them. If they turn you down for it, call and ask to speak with a loan officer to reconsider. If you are increasing due to a balance transfer they have a lot more ability and incentive to make that happen for you. "Move your balances to PenFed" isn't just a banner at the top, it's apparently a driving goal of the LOs there.

masscredit - really could go either way depending on the rest of your stats. I don't know much about how the different lenders react to BK. My SL was only $5500 FWIW with my average being around $12k at the time.
Message 6 of 14
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:
OP - I regret to say that I don't think Citi would start you off high enough. As Joe suggested, asking PenFed for a CLI may be a better option then doing a BT to them. If they turn you down for it, call and ask to speak with a loan officer to reconsider. If you are increasing due to a balance transfer they have a lot more ability and incentive to make that happen for you. "Move your balances to PenFed" isn't just a banner at the top, it's apparently a driving goal of the LOs there.

masscredit - really could go either way depending on the rest of your stats. I don't know much about how the different lenders react to BK. My SL was only $5500 FWIW with my average being around $12k at the time.

I wonder if your reply to the OP can apply to me also?  I applied for a PenFed Cash Rewards card a few weeks ago.  The app was denied because of my BK from 2009, length of time since I opened new accounts (over 18 months) and currently balances on two cards (2 cards - 27% and 33%).  They were able to quickly approve me for $3500 when I called.  Okay, I was happy to be approved but I expected it to be at least $10k. That's very low compared to my other cards. I'm wondering if I should call back to see if they will increase the limit. I'd like to move a balance before I start paying interest on it next week.   If I do call, should I ask to speak to a loan officer or tell the person that answers that I'd like to see about increasing my limit so I can do a BT?

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 14
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I was originally turned down for the CLI on my PenFed Defender.  The reason given was "presently have max open end credit."  I thought that was translating to pyramiding debt or what we call "walking like an Egyptian" around here.  When I called, I just asked the CSR if I could speak to a loan officer to reconsider my credit line request that had been denied.  Ten seconds later I was on the phone with a very pleasant loan officer.  She verified my income and a few identifying questions, took a look through my credit report, chuckled when I mentioned my reason for denial and said "no, that just means our underwriting thought that you had enough revolving credit on your credit report compared to your income" (I think I was at about 1.7x or something like that).  She asked how much I wanted (I really should have gone higher), I told her $20k (SL was $7500) because I wanted to transfer an American Express balance of $12,000 but didn't want to max out the card, and she immediately approved it.  She told me that when it comes to balance transfers, they can be more generous in extending credit.

Long-winded but just wanted to give you the success story.  My card was about 6 months old at the time.  Oddly, I decided to use the HP 2 months later to try for a Power Cash Rewards card when I went on a mini-spree of spending bonuses and they approved me for $10k overnight - no Egyptians or "presently have max open end credit," even though I had actually increased my limits since receiving that notice.

Gotta love this forum.  A Citi thread turned into a PenFed thread, yet still remaining pretty much on the original topic.

Message 8 of 14
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I agree with the PenFed suggestions.

I was given a higher SL on my recent PenFed Promise approval solely based on me wanting to do a sizeable BT ($6k-ish).

They started me out at $10.5k (my first card over $10k) and i have a 4.99% apr for 12 months with 0 BT fees.

Message 9 of 14
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Tough Call. Citi  is stingy on SL's. Good Luck

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.