tag
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Re: CitiBank Double Cash Card

@kdm31091 wrote:

@OnTheRebound wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
That's my dilemma, theyarepre approving me forthatapr but i don't want to geta3k limit Smiley Sad and my cap one 1 venture has not reported yet.

Both from what I've seen, and from personal experience, having other Citi cards begets higher limits with the DC. If it's your first Citi card, you may not fare as well.

Well, that ain't necessarily true. I had my DP since 2010 with a $12K CL and 13.99% APR. I was instantly approved for the DC in Oct, 2014 for a pathetic $3.8K CL and an even more pathetic 22.99% APR. But that's OK. I'm waiting for the 6 month SP CLI in March. I would be more comfortable with at least $5K. As far as the APR goes, they can raise it to 100%. They will get the same amount of interest.

ETA: As with everything in life, YMMV.

It's a bit crazy that Citi has had you as a cardholder for 5 years at 12.99% with $12k in credit, yet on a new app they insult you with 22.99. I know it's a Double Cash and the APR tends to be  higher but to give you the worst APR after that history is mind boggling. To say nothing about the 3.8k limit.

Insulted? No. I have thick skin. It's just the way it is. No rhyme or reason. I was just disappointed in the low CL. But like I said I will wait for a SP CLI. I'm not willing to take a hard pull for a CLI, which I may or may not get. By the way, they double pulled me for the account approval, EX and EQ.  

The interest rate doesn't matter. I PIF all our accounts every month. I applied from the prequal site and it did say the APR will be 22.99%. Maybe if I cold apped, I would have gotten a lower APR? I don't know. All in all, I'm very happy with the DC. Plus, I'm one of the lucky ones that recieved the $200 bonus.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OnTheRebound wrote:

Insulted? No. I have thick skin. It's just the way it is. No rhyme or reason. I was just disappointed in the low CL. But like I said I will wait for a SP CLI. I'm not willing to take a hard pull for a CLI, which I may or may not get. By the way, they double pulled me for the account approval, EX and EQ.  

The interest rate doesn't matter. I PIF all our accounts every month. I applied from the prequal site and it did say the APR will be 22.99%. Maybe if I cold apped, I would have gotten a lower APR? I don't know. All in all, I'm very happy with the DC. Plus, I'm one of the lucky ones that recieved the $200 bonus.

Very lucky to get the $200 sign up bonus, that must have made apping an easy decision. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous add another data point, the DC is my first Citi account, I got 8K @ 12.99%. I was not execpting that at all after reading the giant DC approvals thread from a few months back.

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the help everyone but if I choose to wait 6 months to do the SP, is it pretty much the same amount of CLI as getting a HP now? or because this card is new and I request immidieately, its a higher chance of getting a bigger CL?? I just want at least 5,000 but 10,000 is my longshot goal. 

P.s. what does it mean when i get a low apr but the CL isnt what I want??

Message 23 of 35
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@OnTheRebound wrote:

Very lucky to get the $200 sign up bonus, that must have made apping an easy decision. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous add another data point, the DC is my first Citi account, I got 8K @ 12.99%. I was not execpting that at all after reading the giant DC approvals thread from a few months back.

I was not one of the few people targeted for the $200 bonus so that was not the reason I applied. I wanted a everyday spend 2% card. But at the time there was a good chance you could receive the bonus if you asked. I asked. I got it. It's a great card even without the bonus.

Even a blind pig will stumble on a acorn once in a while!

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 24 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Considering the bonus is a one time thing of 200 dollars which is not exactly life changing money, it shouldn't be a primarily reason to app for a card IMO.
Message 25 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Should've said was a one time thing bc the bonus doesn't exist anymore for this
Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:
Considering the bonus is a one time thing of 200 dollars which is not exactly life changing money, it shouldn't be a primarily reason to app for a card IMO.

Maybe not life changing, but day changing at least. Smiley Tongue

Message 27 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Yeah that 200 will last about a day nowadays haha
Message 28 of 35
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I agree.  But you can apply the same sort of reasoning to any "normal" credit card decision (absent things you don't like, bonus chasing and MS!).  Without pretty heavy spending, the rewads on any one card over many others is pretty small, a few hundred per year at most.  So may as well get the vanilla 1, 1.5 or 2% card and be done, and close the forum!

Message 29 of 35
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Some people like the bonus chasing and other stuff, and thats fine. I like to keep it simpler and stick to a small amount of cards. I do think in addition to a general spend card it makes sense to have a couple category cards if you spend a lot at certain places.

But it depends what you want to do and manage, if you travel heavily etc (most large signup bonuses are travel cards). Also, yes, its only a few hundred a year and its not worth over stressing about hence why I think QS beats Double Cash for some people. The simplicity of the rewards and no stipulations trumps an extra 0.5 percent for some.
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.