Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank secured, with citi baddies?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank secured, with citi baddies?

Anyone been able to score Citibank secured card with bad history?  3 settled for less and paid CO's in 2013. I was given a Radio Shack Brooks Brothers and shell Drive for Five after those chageoffs, denied Best Buy.  The secured at Graduate gets converted to DC pretty easy and that's the only one I would want.  I know they are inq sensitive and I would probably get told no just on that, still curious. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citibank secured, with citi baddies?

I just got an approval for the Citi secured card with a BK from 3 years ago and a TON of new accounts and inquiries. I have other Citi retail cards so not sure if internal score with them matters. I have a ton of unsecured cards many with good limits but the only reason I went for it is because in 18 months it will graduate and PC to double cash like you mentioned. Otherwise Citi won't approve until like 7 years post BK for their regular cards. Hence my decision to app for it.

Message 2 of 12
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Just curious where it says that the secured card graduates to a DC? I read on another forum that someone's citi secured recently converted to a diamond preferred when they hit 18 months, which makes sense since the secured card is called diamond.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll walk in this Tuesday and post outcome. 

Message 4 of 12
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I was going to say that I wondered why yoh were getting a secured card because your scores don't seem that bad, but i guess it's because of the past history with them. Best of luck on the outcome.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true my scores are not that bad that I cannot get credit. US Bank , FBNO, bofa, denied me even secureds! Citibank is the only one I personally burned, yet the other three still hold their ground. My EX is trash compared to other two bureaus, bad marks lifted from TU and EQ. Its numerical score still 686 from last letter. Walking right into the den is a personal battle I want to win w/ citi

Even though I have two American Express cards open I still cannot acquire the one I want I think those bad marks showing tie arm behind my back,  no matter how many swipes large purchase w/ immediate payoffs I do

Message 6 of 12
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I had CITI cards from back in 2006 and defaulted on all of them by 2008 and they went into collections. I paid off the collection and they dropped from my reports. But CITI still mentions about them whenever i applied for new CC with them. I recently applied and got approved for secured card with them. I also have other retail cards from them (Best Buy, Home Depot, Macys) so not sure if that helps. I think after 18 months it may graduate to Diamond Preferred but once you are graduated to an unsecured card you should be able to do a product change.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long did the whole process take? I burned citi in the past and have applied for a secured card with them. They called me yesterday to verify income and address, the lady i spoke with said i should have an answer in 24 hours but they have not contactd me as of yet. I have applied in the past but they just denied me outright and now they actually called me to verify info so maybe thats a good sign.

Message 8 of 12
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

When i applied for CITI secured and got approved it took 3-4 days to withdraw the money. Once withdrawn you are pretty much approved. But officially it took 7 days for them to approve me and it showed in online application status.

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you notified by email? They recieved my application on the 6th, called me to verify info on the 11th. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.