Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Application Rehab Thread

tag
windyhair
Valued Member

Re: Credit Card Application Rehab Thread

i stopped myself from applying for lowe's and saks this week. i asked myself, "do i need these?" the answer was no, of course not. i really don't *need* any card, but the bonuses i got this year are pushing me to travel more (which i've been meaning to do for YEARS). i never shop at saks. and the lowe's i'm going to reserve for next year after i buy a house (planning for june 2016). Smiley Very Happy

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 41 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

@windyhair wrote:

i stopped myself from applying for lowe's and saks this week. i asked myself, "do i need these?" the answer was no, of course not. i really don't *need* any card, but the bonuses i got this year are pushing me to travel more (which i've been meaning to do for YEARS). i never shop at saks. and the lowe's i'm going to reserve for next year after i buy a house (planning for june 2016). Smiley Very Happy

Good decision... Once we are able to differentiate between a NEED and a WANT, it makes the decision easier.  I do the same thing myself.  I actually write down why the card benefits me and why it does not and then decide.

Message 42 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

@windyhair wrote:

That's exactly the question we have to ask ourselves when we have a weak moment and get the urge to app. I've had to ask myself that question about 4 or 5 times since going in the garden 9 days ago.

Message 43 of 121
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really need help myself, I have opened 11 new accounts in the last 4 months, 21 Inq's in the last 3 months on Ex, 7 on EQ and 4 on TU. I really need to stop and I figured a thread like this could help. I have learned it can quickly become an addiction and maybe this will help call attention to it. Support and advice are the best tools to a recovery and given credit can majorly help or hurt your financial future, keeping the app finger in check can definitely help.

This is a really great community and with the more support, maybe this can keep others from falling in the same pattern as me.

It's true, it can be addictive.

Strange... who would think it would be fun to apply for credit cards, get rejected for some, and accepted for others?

What kind of hobby is that?

One thing I've noticed as I try to force myself to chill out for awhile is how I get bombarded with temptation wherever I look. Go to the store, and at the register they say 'you can have 25% off if you apply for our card'. Read an article on the internet and all the margins are filled with credit cards. Make an online purchase and there's a credit card application link. Look at your emails confirming online purchases and there are ads for the company's credit card.

One of the temptations -- which I could avoid but haven't -- is visiting these forums. Everytime I see someone saying something like "BBVA is going crazy granting NBA cards" I start to feel tempted.

I guess it must be that sweet 'immediate gratification' that comes from getting a 30-second response saying "congratulations you've been approved".

Thing is, they're not giving out money, they're just giving out the ability to pay fees, pay interest, and get more indebted.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 44 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post you hit the nail on the head. I am amazed at how cards are thrust at you almost everywhere. It definitely does not help the sometimes compulsive need to app. True there are some great offers to take advantage of. It's like walking a tight rope. One side you are don't have enough credit and the other you have too much.
Message 45 of 121
elim
Senior Contributor

strategically app'd over 1 year and accumulated the credit lines i thought would suffice in my spending life,   stopped apping and put all 3 reports on ice.   

smiling now   :]    and 50 points higher than i was when i started (and 100k+ more in credit lines).

Message 46 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am now getting close to 1 month with no apps, tho I was tempted. I caught myself a couple of times starting to app then canceled. Tho I have motivation now, a new home. So no apps for me to screw it up.
Message 47 of 121
smitty1
New Contributor

I need to be in here.  Since 10/2014 I have opened 48 accounts, last month I closed 15 of them that I had never used, and probably never would.  In that time I have 82 inquires on EQ, 50 on TU, dont know on EX.  I have bought 2 new cars, and refinaced one twice, so a lot of the inquires were for those.  Haven't applied or opened an account in about a month.  Maybe Im learning my lesson.  btw, I closed all those accounts at once, dropped my FICA score 82 points.  Lesson learned.

Message 48 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome smitty.

Glad you posted here and shared your story and that you are on the road to recovery. The first month is the hardest and we are here to help support you.
Message 49 of 121
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Great post you hit the nail on the head. I am amazed at how cards are thrust at you almost everywhere. It definitely does not help the sometimes compulsive need to app. True there are some great offers to take advantage of. It's like walking a tight rope. One side you are don't have enough credit and the other you have too much.

Thanks, Loskene, much appreciated.

I'm especially appalled when MyFICO Forum members say things like "Welcome to the Amex family". A credit card is not a family! Watch what kind of 'family' they are if you're 2 days late on a payment! They'll cut you off at the knees.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 50 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.