Did you mean: 

Credit Card Application Rehab Thread

tag
Chrisla2077
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Application Rehab Thread

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chrisla2077 wrote:

I NEED this thread. I've been promising myself I was going to garden forever..I opened 9 accounts in 1 month and 1 secured 2 mos later...and my dumb tail has still been apping. Combined with my car purchase from last year my EQ has 50 inquiries...I have to STOP!

I feel you. I have 37 EQ 39 TU. I gardened for a freaking week before I caved again. I was denied so that should be my sign that I need to lay off for a good year. I think crack would be an easier habit to kick right about now!

Definitely! I've been denied 2 or 3 times ...and still kept going..shame on me. I'm trying to hold out until next July. All I want is a Citi AAdvantage card because I fly American Air most of the time I go on vacation...and I know Citi is inquiry sensitive....oh welll I guess it'll be the end of 2017 lol

Message 101 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it was time to introduce myself. 

My name is Erik, and I'm addicted to apping. I'm 32 and just recently got my first legit credit card from Capital One. From then on, it was like, "OH I SHOULD APPLY FOR THIS ONE!" and I got approved for two more CapOne cards. And then, I got the denials. The "7-10 day" letters. It didn't stop me. 

I've used the Shopping Cart Trick and took cards for stores that I don't even shop at. I'm looking at you VS. 

Anyways. I've made a promise, a vow in front of God, my lifesize Hawkeye poster and my mother that I'll not be apping for any new cards for the next 18 months. 

I plan to pay off my balances and stay in good standing with my existing cards that I do use. I have to do this. I realize that I'm still young and I'm at the point where I can reverse any major damage that has been done to my credit. 

It starts now. 

Thank you to everyone on this board, I've gained a TON of information from just reading threads from other users. A lot of useful stuff here. 

Message 102 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to quit aping too. I have several cards that I will probably never use. I think I will let them stay for a year or so then close them. I have a few cards with nice limits and synchrony bank has been wonderful to me so I will stay with them and hope some of the store cards will turn to visa/ master cards.

Message 103 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone want to trade cards we don't use? i.e. This Express credit card I apped for, haven't used it once. Anyone want to trade? Pretty sexy $300 limit too, it's go-crazy proof. It's a 2015 edition with no scratches. Let me know if you're interested..

Message 104 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe I am the one who needs rehab the most and I've been here befofe. Over the past two years, I have gained over 70 active credit cards and I still find myself applying from time to time... I have gave myself every reason not to but still I do. The best I have done is stopped from time to time but like any other habit one becomes addicted to--I always find myself coming back. There is SOME science to my madness and methods I use.

It has been 59 months since my last late payment which was when I had good credit but went through a hardship. I still have a list of cards I would like to get even though I have so many already. I have used all of my cards at least once except for the last nine I got. I can say I do enjoy the rewards, benefits, free money and bonuses that some of the cards offer and I have found out which ones among the ones I have are worth using and which really do nothing for me. Anyway, I felt compelled to share so that's pretty much it.
Message 105 of 121
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I racked up 15-18 inquries on each report in the last 4 months...intervention is much needed Smiley Happy

Message 106 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost 30 points by gaining inquiries since march. However I'm close to 1,000 bux in cash back, offers, bonuses. Worth it. Now, because of those choices, I can't upgrade anything I carry, such as barclay or amex accounts for 18 months. Oh well.
Message 107 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update to this thread, I closed on my new home on Dec 31st and I love it. I came out of the garden and got 2 new cards after pruning off other cards I dont really use. I attend to go back in the garden for a year then try for Citi. But I need help to stay in the garden. I love to read this thread and the stories and struggles other credit app addicts like myself. Please continue to share your stories both successes and setbacks. We are still here and listening..

Message 108 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 INQ on EQ, 1 on TU, and (I think) 1 on EX.  

At one time I thought I wanted 10 accounts.  Now I'd be happy with 2 or 3 (I have two major cards now, along with two synchrony cards which will go away soon).  Next on my list is CSP to go with the Freedom.  Beyond that I want nothing else. I've long since gotten over the idea that hoarding cards is a good thing, and I just go with what I can really use. That shortens the list considerably. 

Message 109 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

In real life I actually run a few outpatient rehabs (D&A/MH/Gambling)...maybe I should look into adding credit card application and video game addiction to the programming.

It is definitely hard to stop clicking apply when you feel like you're on a roll.

After my last app spree (only 4 apps) I'm starting to view the whole thing like they are relationships...you have something that's working out well enough...you wonder if there's something better...so you explore options...you realize others want you...and it triggers this rush of endorphins that you keep chasing...

Right now I'm in a position of rebuilding...but need to focus on being content with the big hits I had last week...so I'm going into full on gardening mode.

Good luck to all!

Message 110 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.