cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limits are too low

tag
BpoGurl

Credit Limits are too low

TU: 589. Exp: 609. Eq:602. 8 department credit cards the available credit are low.  Advise to get Amex or CCwith higher 

limits ? I'm new to this need any advise .

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Limits are too low

think the best youll get that low would be Captial One, maybe Discover IT card. or navy federal if youre eligible 

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 2 of 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Your scores are too low for more cards or higher limits at this moment. Are your cards maxxed out? Do you have any missed payments or collections?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 13
SeattleSuperBowlChampions
New Contributor

If I were you, I'd stop getting any additional store cards.  There are certain cards out there that may be easier to get.  Freedom, Slate, Barclay Rewards Mastercard, Cap1 quicksilver one, etc.  But If you're patient, and maintain a good history with your store cards, you'll be able to get CLIs and open the doors for better cards.

BarclayCard - Rewards MC - 5,000 | Amex - Skymiles Platinum - 18,000 | Chase - Freedom - 3,000 | Chase - Hyatt - 5,000 | Amazon SC - 3,800 | Fidelity AMEX - 17,000 | Chase - Ritz - 10,000
Message 4 of 13
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@SLO805 wrote:

think the best youll get that low would be Captial One, maybe Discover IT card. or navy federal if youre eligible 

Discover IT would almost definitly be a no go.  The best bet would be to get balances under 30% total, and only have that balance on one or two of those cards...then see scores again when the reports reflect that. This may be more of a time to garden than anything else. That's not taking any negative items potentially on the report into account.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you are on the way... I agree with Skye, if you want higher limit cards the proven method is focusing on growing your score.

Remove derogs, pay all your cards off but one and carry a small balance (less than 9%) and let your current cards age. Do not apply for new credit.

The CC compaines want to see you can handle the credit you have before the UWs will risk higher limits. Seeking more credit = risk. Limited age is another flag and carrying high balances is a bit scary.Never miss a payment (IMO, auto pay is a great resource and safety net) Once you see scores in the upper 600's and with a few cards under your belt, you will be amazed at the new limits.

Good luck. Remember it is a marathon.

Message 6 of 13
ryox03
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, you are on the way... I agree with Skye, if you want higher limit cards the proven method is focusing on growing your score.

Remove derogs, pay all your cards off but one and carry a small balance (less than 9%) and let your current cards age. Do not apply for new credit.

The CC compaines want to see you can handle the credit you have before the UWs will risk higher limits. Seeking more credit = risk. Limited age is another flag and carrying high balances is a bit scary.Never miss a payment (IMO, auto pay is a great resource and safety net) Once you see scores in the upper 600's and with a few cards under your belt, you will be amazed at the new limits.

Good luck. Remember it is a marathon.

^^^ That's the big thing. Keep on top of all of the above and time handles the rest. No special tricks there, just time.

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 7 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

OP, it also helps to interact with the thread and give more info.

Message 8 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

When I started to rebuild and my Ficos were in the 580's, I had a few capitalone platinum mastercards with low limits of $300 and $500. I always paid them on time but didnt focus on utilization and maxed them out a lot. then I paid them down, keep them low and was able to get CLI's on those cards to 1500 and so on.

After a solid year of payments, low utilization and getting my score a bit highter. I started to yield 2,000k and 3,000k limits. then shortly aftrer 5,000k limits. 

Message 9 of 13
yoyo
Established Contributor

Agree, keep utilization low....I remember my score was hit 6 points when I  used 75% of my Khols credit line...

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.