Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Bank Pre-Qualification denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Bank Pre-Qualification denial

I tried doing the Credit One Bank Pre-Qualification for a credit card just now - and got a denial. They provided me with the following letter for reasons. I read through some previous forums on this and see that Credit One Bank deny people with better credit scores/reports - is this why?

They did a soft pull on my Experian report - which already shows on Experian when I checked just now - They are saying my score is 712 - is this a FICO 04 score? Because myFICO score via Experian is 723 currently - and that's a FICO 08 score. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your recent request for pre-qualification for a Credit One Bank credit card. Your request was carefully considered and we are unable to provide a credit card offer for you at this time.

Reasons for Denial of Credit
Your application was processed by a credit scoring system that assigns a numerical value to the various items of information we consider in evaluating an application. These numerical values are based upon the results of analyses of repayment histories of large numbers of customers.

The information you provided in your application did not score a sufficient number of points for approval of the application. The reasons you did not score well compared with other applicants were:

• Insufficient time since most recent account opened
  • Number of Accounts Opened within the Last 12 Months
  • Too many accounts with balances
  • Too many recent inquiries

Your Right to Get Your Credit Report
In evaluating your application the consumer reporting agency listed below provided us with information that in whole or in part influenced our decision. The consumer reporting agency played no part in our decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we have denied credit to you. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. It can be obtained by contacting: Experian, P.O. Box 9701 Allen, TX 75013, 1-888-397-3742, www.experian.com/reportaccess. You also have a right to a free copy of your report from the reporting agency, if you request it no later than 60 days after you receive this notice. In addition, if you find that any information contained in the report you receive is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute the matter with the reporting agency.

Information about Your Credit Score
We also obtained your credit score from this consumer reporting agency Your credit score is a number that reflects the information in your credit report. Your credit score can change, depending on how the information in your credit report changes.

Your credit score: 712
Date: 12/15/2014
Scores range from a low of 350 to a high of 850

Key factors that adversely affected your credit score:

• Insufficient time since most recent account opened
  • Number of Accounts Opened within the Last 12 Months
  • Too many accounts with balances
  • Too many recent inquiries

If you have any questions regarding this letter, you should contact us at:

Credit One Bank
P.O. Box 98878
Las Vegas, NV 89193-8878
1-877-825-3242

Sincerely,

Credit One Bank, N.A.

NOTICE: The federal Equal Credit Opportunity Act prohibits creditors from discriminating against credit applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, age (with certain limited exceptions); because all or part of the applicant's income derives from any public assistance program; or because the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act. The federal agency that administers compliance with this law concerning this creditor is the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Customer Assistance Group, 1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450, Houston, TX 77010-9050.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit One Bank Pre-Qualification denial

I'm not sure why they denied you but in my opinion they did you a favor with your current cards. They saved you money and a headache of having a sub prime card in your credit report. Their score was probably an internal enhanced score.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had no intention of getting the card - I just wanted to see whether they'd approve me for it or not to see where my creditworthiness stands currenly. Also, what do you mean by a sub prime card? I know they have an annual fee and no rewards program - so it's not worth having.

I really want to get the Citi Double Cash card but their pre qualification systems says they don't match me to any offers - and am not sure whether it's worth risking a hard inquiry yet until my age of accounts grows and score increases?

Message 3 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

but they did give you a free credit score right? i apply for credit one almost every month and am denied Smiley Frustrated but they do give the score for free every single time!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah but the score doesn't appear to be a FICO score - unless it's a FICO 04 score versus FICO 08 score. Does anyone know?

Why do they keep declining? Because it's a credit card for people with poor credit so they can penalize them with large annual fees and APR's?

Message 5 of 8
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah but the score doesn't appear to be a FICO score - unless it's a FICO 04 score versus FICO 08 score. Does anyone know?

Why do they keep declining? Because it's a credit card for people with poor credit so they can penalize them with large annual fees and APR's?

YES!  Your credit scores are TOO HIGH for Credit One, which is why they keep rejecting you.  Many members of this Forum with decent credit scores (including myself) have used this Credit One "rejection feature" to obtain an Experian FAKO credit score of sorts - for free! 

With credit scores in the low 700's, you are no longer "qualified" to pay the $89 or so annual fee plus monthly charges characteristic of Credit One!  Sorry to have to break that bad news to you ,,,!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 6 of 8
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the score is an EX-08 score.  Experien sells FAKO scores.   If you want to pay for an EX-08 score, you need to purchase it from MyFico, not EX.

Message 7 of 8
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I played with Credit One Prequalification with no intention of applying. I too got rejected.

Reasons for denial:

Credit score: 796

Insufficient time since most recent account opened. True, less than 2 months

Too many recent inquiries. 1 on Experian

Number of accounts opened in the last 12 months. 2

Ratio of loan balances to credit limits too high. 2%

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.