Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Sucks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Sucks

I guess everyone knows by now that Credit One sucks, but I have an experience that shows just HOW bad they suck.

I used their online pre-approval thing a couple of months ago (before I realized how bad they are) and got approved for $300. I accepted. Waited for weeks and never heard anything from them, but I could see by using their online application status tool that I was "approved", but the card was never sent. Didn't tell me why or anything.

Then I got a pre-approval in the mail. So I went to their website and entered the pre-approval, and I was denied based on having an account with them already. But I never got a card!

So I gave them a call. They said they could cancel my old account so I could use the pre-approval letter. Confirmed on the phone that it was canceled and I could try again.

STILL didn't work. Now it was saying I had a closed account with a balance. WITH A BALANCE. When I never got a card. What in the actual...

So I called back and they said a supervisor had indeed removed the balance owed and to wait until Tuesday for their system to update and try again. Did that. Same thing. "Closed with a balance." Tried again the NEXT Tuesday, same thing. Called again.

This time they said the supervisor had put through the request to remove the balance owed, but the system wouldn't let it go through because they never received my validation for the first account. What validation? I never got anything from them requesting any validation! She said I did receive a card (I didn't and even their application status page shows a card was never sent) and verified it was never activated, and that the account was "frozen" because they never got my validation.

Then why in the world did I have a balance on the account? If they never sent a card or got validation, how could they put a balance on the card? This could have been a fradulent account, and they KNEW that, and yet they put a balance on the account before even sending out a card?

Not to mention the agents could barely understand me, and all but one seemed to have no clue what was going on. The last woman I talked to kept asking me if I was saying the account was fradulent (which I never mentioned even one time) and I had to explain my situation at least five or six times before she halfway understood. Even then she kept saying she could re-activate the account and send me a new card. Ugh. No thanks.

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS this happened to me. This nightmare has steered me away from them. Now I've read so many horror stories about them and I'm glad I didn't get the card. Awful, awful company!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
VipreArmed
Contributor

Re: Credit One Sucks

Yes they do!

That sucks about your experience.  I know Credit One charges their activation fee onto the card but I thought you would have to actually activate it for them to do it.  I'm willing to bet the balance that it carried is their fee for getting the card which sucks.  I know they will offer a $300 SL with a $99 activation fee they subtract from your SL.   

I dodged a bullet with Credit One in Dec of 2015.  I was so happy someone wanted to give me a credit card, I applied to them and was approved for the same $300 limit.  Then I got a call from Credit One a few days later asking me to verify my address and income and when I submitted the documents, they sent me a letter saying my application can't be processed at the time and I never got the card and it's never reported.   I found this forum and months later applied for a Capital One for a starting line of $500.  

Keeping fighting with them to get it removed and thank yourself you won't have this card.  From what I've read it's one of the worst.  

AMEX Blue Cash | Capital One Platinum | OverStock CC | Quiksilver | Walmart | VS Angel Card | 24k Student Loans |

Starting Scores: 4/1/2017 EQ: 623 TU: 644 EX: 661
10/30/2017 EQ: 641 TU: 681 EX: 695
Goal: 720 EQ-TU-EX

Gardening till April 2018!

Message 2 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

If you confirmed the 1st card was cancelled why would you try again with the pre approval letter. Seems like that would have have just compounded the problem . At least you know know how credit 2 really worksSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to close my card with them bad, I have been with them a year, paid the 8.25 annual fee (thought it would be more?) and haven't had a problem with them to be honest.  My credit score has gone up a lot and I absolutely don't need the card anymore. I am just scared of situations like this, closing my account and having a sneaky balance pop up or something terrible

Message 5 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Crotin, if you can close it, if you have better cards and dont need the utilization padding, close it. Just stay on top of it. Ask them for a letter saying your account is closed. Once you have that weight off your shoulders youll feel betterSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Ummm I believe that is 8.25 a month. Not a year. 😡
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to close my card with them bad, I have been with them a year, paid the 8.25 annual fee (thought it would be more?) and haven't had a problem with them to be honest.  My credit score has gone up a lot and I absolutely don't need the card anymore. I am just scared of situations like this, closing my account and having a sneaky balance pop up or something terrible

Just be sure it's paid to zero and no interest is going to hit your account when the statement cuts, then call and close it. They will possibley try to convince you to stay by offering you next to nothing, but just be persistent. I closed mine, no problems. It's a great feeling to close a CreditOne card! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 23
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

LOL

"By offering you next to nothing"

That's a good one Bella007
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 23
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, whats next to nothing? Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.