Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One - and opting out of offers across the board

tag
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

Credit One - and opting out of offers across the board

So, as I am rebuilding my credit I keep getting preapproval offers.  Anything from an auto loan from Capital One, to that FingerHunt place, and now Credit One.  At this juncture, I am not interested in opening an account unless its an account of my choosing.  Quite frankly, it's concerning to me that somehow these companies have enough access to whatever information to provide a preapproval offer.

Anyways... is there a place I can go to opt out of these offers?  Like a do-not-call list but for credit offers?

Thanks Smiley Happy

PS-at this juncture the only other credit card i would be interested in would be Cabelas or REI MasterCards, but I think I have some time to wait for those.  Blessing in disguise haha

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit One - and opting out of offers across the board

You can opt out of preapprovals, but you can’t pick and choose which ones.  It’s all or nothing.  If you do opt out, you will not be able to search preapprovals online for the card/loans you DO want.

You can always opt back in at a later date, but remember it will take time after you opt in for preapprovals to return.  

On the the bottom of a preapproval, there should be a box explaining how to opt out.  I don’t know the website off hand.

Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Also unless you reestablish credit with some cards, it will be harder for those prime banks to offer good cards. Just stay away from Credit One lol. What 2 cards do you have now?
Message 3 of 8
trusty
Frequent Contributor

Here's the place to opt out: optoutprescreen.com

Message 4 of 8
LindysMom
Regular Contributor

@averagejoe

i have capital one and carebcredit

My FICO Scores:
9/17: EQ - 542 / TU - 535 / EX - 506 // Mortgage: 553, 545, 486
10/ 17: EQ - 558 / TU - 563 / EX - 586 // Mortgage: 554, 568, 536
11/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 589 / EX - 614 // Mortgage: 606, 606, 572
12/17: EQ - 630 / TU - 624 / EX - 619 // Mortgage: 584, 612, 671

9/18: EQ - 676 / TU - 676 / EX - 643 // Mortgage: 652, 628, 606

Journey Milestones: Completed Federal Student Loan Rehab in Sept 2017. Settled First Premier Bank CC in August 2017. Constant uphill battle with Navient incorrect reporting on seven (7!) private student loans. No TLs listed in delinquency. Obsessively keeping 2 CC UTI @ 7-9% monthly.

End Goal: Pre-Approval for FHA Spring/Summer 2018 (COMPLETED)
New End Goal: 700+ Spring 2019
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Caution though in the event you change your mind later. I too opted out years ago. I actually opted out permanently. It worked very well. Too well these days.

At some point in April, I decided I wanted more cards. Note, the opt out works both ways—creditors won’t be able to send you preapprovals and you won’t be able to check preaprovals.

While looking for more prime cards (specifically Chase), I changed my mind and opted back in. There’s not a lot of information about whether you can opt back in after permanently opting out. Since my opt back in, I’ve only received one prescreened credit offer from Discover. (This offer could’ve been for my dad as we share the same name and I never changed my mailing address.)

Every app since April (excluding Discover) has been a cold app as a result of my initial opt out. Luckily, I’ve been successful ten times this summer/fall and I’m now gardening but not without a little anxiety before each app or “white knuckle” sensation as the credit wheel spins.

Good luck in whatever you choose and I wish you the best in your credit journey.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have found it quite gratifying to simply toss the offers in the TRASH

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called them and told them to take me off their list.  Haven't received one since, been a couple years.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.