cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER - Secured IT - Is it easy to get?

tag
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

DISCOVER - Secured IT - Is it easy to get?

I stopped trying to get Discover last year, today I went to their site and they are offering the secured it online to everyone.  Before, they were only offering to those they felt like and now it appears it's wide open.  Is it a guarantee once you apply or can you still get denied?

Thanks,

MM

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISCOVER - Secured IT - Is it easy to get?

When I app'd, I had a EQ 614, 1 judgment and 1 open collection. Also was in the 50% range for utilization.

Funny enough now I might be able to sneak in with an unsecured card!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why were you getting denied for it?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for 500 SL earlier today on a Discover Secure IT card. Had a live chat convo with a rep. She some how managed to turn App into 500 SL unsecured.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I would have thought of that! I just got my secured card in the mail today, and found out that it is not the Discover IT, but the chrome version of that (no rotating 5% cashback categories, just a flat 2% on groceries and gas, i think, and 1% on everything else). 

Maybe I'll try calling CS and see if they can do anything for me. I intend for this to be my main card because its the only one I have that doesn't charge any FTFs, and I work outside the US for 8 months out of the year...

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU-608 at time of app. Verizon Wireless collection-1900. Multiple 120 days late on Navient student loans(in the past, been current for 2 years now). Uti-10%. Income 85k annually.
Message 6 of 12
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I am working on getting my last baddie paid off - a REPO - I am in the mid-600's and want to buy a house before getting another card.

I just wasn't sure how easy it had become to get discover since the last time I had heard about the Secured Card, they had said it was up to Discover whether you would get it or not.  Now it appears they just give it away to anyone (at least that is what it seems like).

Has anyone been denied for the secured?

Thanks,

MM

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Message 7 of 12
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

I got the secured card offer when I was denied the Discover IT card in March of last year. I accepted the offer, but only made a deposit of $200. I used the card quite a bit and this past week, my Discover It card graduated. Exactly one year one month after getting the secured version and now my card is unsecured.

Message 8 of 12
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@MortgageMinded wrote:

Thanks, I am working on getting my last baddie paid off - a REPO - I am in the mid-600's and want to buy a house before getting another card.

I just wasn't sure how easy it had become to get discover since the last time I had heard about the Secured Card, they had said it was up to Discover whether you would get it or not.  Now it appears they just give it away to anyone (at least that is what it seems like).

Has anyone been denied for the secured?

Thanks,

MM

They don't really give it away to anyone, they just made the application available to anyone who wants to apply for it. When the app first came available, there were too many members here with decent scores and were denied. So there is no guarantee that just because it is secured you will get approved. You will just have to apply to find out. Good Luck!

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the Discover Secured card for my first secured card (scores in signature are FAKO CK scores) but I opened today with 200$ being taken out of my checking account. I'm probably 560+ on FICO, but got instant approval 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.