cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for the Barclays Rewards (will call recon dept on Monday morning)

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Declined for the Barclays Rewards (will call recon dept on Monday morning)

I was instantly approved for another Capital One card yesterday (Platinum, $500 limit and I have had my eyes on a Barclays card for quite some time.  I applied previously for the Barclays rewards in Sept '14 and they declined me as well.  When I called recon they told me to show more history with my two cards (CU visa $2k limit and Quicksilver $500 limit).  I have been responsible since last Sept and I was excited to get the instant approval yesterday with Capital One.  I worked my way out of the credit steps with the first card, got a cl increase and proved myself.  I don't think I jumped the gun with the app on Barclays today.  I am going to call recon on Monday morning and I am confident that they will approve me this time.  Especially how I called them non-stop last Sept and pleaded with them.  I have remained patience since then and have done all the right things.  I'm sure they have a file on me Smiley Wink.

Wish me luck on Monday.  I'll let you guys know what they way.

If anyone has any advice on what to say, please feel free to share it on here.  Thanks.

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Declined for the Barclays Rewards (will call recon dept on Monday morning)

Good luck with that... let us know how it goes, I want that card also. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 32
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Did you call them? What was their response?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 32
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Re: Declined for the Barclays Rewards (Called Recon 2x today and denied both times so far)

@ojefferyo wrote:

Did you call them? What was their response?

So far they are playing games.  I have spoken with two different reps today and the first one said he was making a judgment calle and that the answer is no.  The second just kept saying I need to pay down my balance.  I do have high utilization on my capital one card, but I am paying as agreed and never missed a payment.  Back in september when I applied they told me that they wanted to see more of a history.  I have showed that and much more.  They also had the nerve to bring up a charge off BOA account from 6 years ago that I have since paid in full.  They keep trying to find this little things and make a big deal about it.  Anything that is good they will ignore it.  
I'm going to keep calling them twice a day.  I have turned the corner in my payment history and there has to be a rep there who will say yes to me.  I have done what they said since last time.
Does anybody know the record for recon calls when someone finally said yes?  Wish me luck.  I'll keep you guys informed. 

Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 4 of 32
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I was denied for the Barclays Apple reward visa a month ago, called and got it within 5 minutes on recon with an unpaid $1200 and unpaid $100 collection(s) from mid 2013 showing on TU report they pulled. Gave me a $1000 limit, I called back 2 hours later and reconned that to $1750. They will give in. I did have a ton of good accounts though including a Cap 1 card from 2012 and aside from the collections my credit reports shows 0 late's and low utilization.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 5 of 32
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@cartwrna wrote:
I was denied for the Barclays Apple reward visa a month ago, called and got it within 5 minutes on recon with an unpaid $1200 and unpaid $100 collection(s) from mid 2013 showing on TU report they pulled. Gave me a $1000 limit, I called back 2 hours later and reconned that to $1750. They will give in. I did have a ton of good accounts though including a Cap 1 card from 2012 and aside from the collections my credit reports shows 0 late's and low utilization.

Thank you for sharing that.  The two people I have spoken with thus far were not helpful at all.  It was as if nothing would move them.

Any advice on what I should say?  I see you went from denied, to approval and then a follow up call with a higher limit.  You must have some skills Smiley Wink

I'll keep calling them and post it on here with the results.  Two calls per day shall suffice until they say yes.

Message 6 of 32
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I would start the call off with something along the lines of "Hi, I was recently denied for a card with Barclays but would like a recon based on the fact that I've heard nothing but good things about Barclays and would really like to start building positive history with your company" if they bring up the utilization and BofA charge off explain that your utilization will be going down it just hasn't reported yet, as far as the charge off explain that yes you had a bad run 6 years ago but that you have taken control of your finances and have had no mishaps since then (as long as you don't have any showing). Explain that you typically pay your cards in full, but your payment missed the statement cut off date on your Cap 1 by just a day or so due to it pending longer than expected. That's the kind of good stuff I used on them!

As far as getting my CL raised, I started with the $1000 then called back and told them that I was interested in purchasing a MacBook on their 0% financing but the laptop along with tax came out to roughly $1700 and they game me $1750. I still haven't used the card though LOL. Got it mainly to build relationship with Barclays, I should try and PC it but I will wait 6-12 months (I primarily use my QS1 for the 1.5% cb)
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 7 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cartwrna wrote:
I would start the call off with something along the lines of "Hi, I was recently denied for a card with Barclays but would like a recon based on the fact that I've heard nothing but good things about Barclays and would really like to start building positive history with your company" if they bring up the utilization and BofA charge off explain that your utilization will be going down it just hasn't reported yet, as far as the charge off explain that yes you had a bad run 6 years ago but that you have taken control of your finances and have had no mishaps since then (as long as you don't have any showing). Explain that you typically pay your cards in full, but your payment missed the statement cut off date on your Cap 1 by just a day or so due to it pending longer than expected. That's the kind of good stuff I used on them!

As far as getting my CL raised, I started with the $1000 then called back and told them that I was interested in purchasing a MacBook on their 0% financing but the laptop along with tax came out to roughly $1700 and they game me $1750. I still haven't used the card though LOL. Got it mainly to build relationship with Barclays, I should try and PC it but I will wait 6-12 months (I primarily use my QS1 for the 1.5% cb)

thats some good stuff i would add that in the other cards you pay well over the min payment when not payed in full and that yoy have a payment plan of paying those cards in the next months, since they were some offers you took for christmas shooping. thats what i said when i apped for apple rewards and it said pending reviews.

Good Luck ,  btw my co worker got $500 with 3 unpaid collections today. 

Message 8 of 32
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for everyones advice above.  I utilized both of your scripts and the woman still said no!  I told her I have a plan to pay down the balance and that the actual balance is not as high as its reporting, but she said there is nothing else she can do.  

What I'm going to do is pay down the balance more today and then call them and tell them I have the balance down to $100!  Hopefully this will spur them on to approving me. I don't know what else to do.  Even though she did state that I have "7 months of positive history with Capital One" it wasn't enough.  For some reason my credit union card doesn't report on TU.  My response was that, if I only have one credit card and after doing the right things nobody is willing to give me another shot with a card, how can I prove myself?  Thats like continually being denied a job because you don't have the experience.  If someone doesn't give you an opportunity to work and prove yourself, how can you gain the experience?

I'll keep you guys posted.  I'm going to make another payment on my card, bring down the utilization and call them later today.  Wish me luck Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 32
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Re: Declined for the Barclays Rewards (Have called Recon 4x since yesterday and still rejection)

I just got off the phone with the recon department for the 2nd time today.  The constant double speak from the analysts there is sickening.  I explained to them that I made a $300 payment on my existing Cap 1 card and dropped the balance to $100, but he told me that he would have to do another hard pull on my credit report to verify it and that it will take some time to show up.  He also said it they want to see several months of low utilization.  I told him that can't be the case because the previous rep I spoke with was able to input the numbers according to what I said and was informed to lower my utilization.  Then he brought up my past charge off which is paid for.  Then he was the only one out of the four reps I have spoken with to bring up my student loans, which are being rehabbed.  I told him I applied for this card back in September and have done all that they have suggested since then and now I am getting the run around and double speak.  He said after 90 days all those files are erased and he can't verify anything.  

I'm beginning to think I'm on their blacklist or something.  Should I keep calling?  Does anybody have any other suggestions on ways to handle these analysts and what to say?  I'm beginning to think this company stinks and i'm seeing the tip of the ice berg.  I have found much more helpful people at the executive office of Cap 1 who went out of their way to help me time and time again.  A lot of people talk down at Cap 1, but I have found the opposite in my experience with them.

Any advice on all of this?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.