Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Capital One - Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied Capital One - Question

I’m rebuilding and I have a Capital One Secured.  It’s past my 6 month mark and I’ve received my auto CLI and I’ve never been late on a payment.  In fact I use it and pay it several times a month.  Anyway, I app’ed for the QS1 and got denied and thought that strange but okay opted for the 2nd hard inquiry...I know already, and shot for the platinum unsecured with confidence.  I got shot down and it hurt.  The letter states that on my Equifax, I have too many inquiries.  No surprise there.  I don’t even recall how many, but there are a lot.  Some I am trying to get removed because that all shouldn’t be there but my question is can I contact them for reconsideration of this since its not a performance or lack of performance issue?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Denied Capital One - Question

I dont think Cap1 does recon, but I could be wrong. 

Probably the best thing for you would be to stop applying for CCs, let those inquires age a bit, then check their pre-qual page. I'd give it 3-6 months 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe Cap 1 does recon, and they also don't do CSR CLI or CLI recon either.  Quite frustrating, but they rely on little to no human intervention.  Perhaps someone else has found the key to their unusual lock!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Besides these apps I’d not app’ed for about 6 months and hadn’t planned on it until about November but I just got weak... 

;(

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 months is too early. You need more solid history with CapOne before getting QS1. I'd apply in 13 months after I got Platinum Secured.
Message 5 of 11
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I’m rebuilding and I have a Capital One Secured.  It’s past my 6 month mark and I’ve received my auto CLI and I’ve never been late on a payment.  In fact I use it and pay it several times a month.  Anyway, I app’ed for the QS1 and got denied and thought that strange but okay opted for the 2nd hard inquiry...I know already, and shot for the platinum unsecured with confidence.  I got shot down and it hurt.  The letter states that on my Equifax, I have too many inquiries.  No surprise there.  I don’t even recall how many, but there are a lot.  Some I am trying to get removed because that all shouldn’t be there but my question is can I contact them for reconsideration of this since its not a performance or lack of performance issue?

I may be wrong here.... but I'll tell you about my experience.  I applied for the credit steps and had 2 auto CLIs ... the card stands at $5k CL.  I had a 2nd card approval and requested for a product change about 1 year in and was denied.  Within 2 years I was granted a PC to QS. After 4 years I was approved for the QS signature. On the 1st QS card I actually emailed the CO for a CLI and was granted a whopping $250 increase.  

CP1 can be very finiky.  They have waved the AF on my QS card but won't permanently remove it.  Not worth the 1.5% CB.  2 of the cards have aprs over 22% which goes up everytime the feds raise the prime rate.  Not so with my other bank CCs.  I have been getting a lot of special offers for 0% apr for limited time on all 3... some for 12 months with a 3% transfer fees others with 18 months with a 1% transfer fee.

IMHO the next time you think about apping with CP1, I'd try their prequalify site. My experience and from what others have posted on this forum, the site is extremely accurate and no HP until you actually apply.   Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I did but as I said above, I got weak. I’ve been following this board for awhile but actually just joined so I could begin posting. I went through a divorce and had to consolidate my company amongst other things but didn’t suffer too badly with credit, just had to budget differently for awhile. Then I fell extremely ill and was in the hospital for nearly a year for which now I need a double lung transplant and a heart operation due to the lungs and that is what caused the credit downfall. Now I’m on the rebuild. Every now and again I see posts of isolated success that give me hope but I am fairly disciplined. This time I was not. I simply saw hope of yet another milestone. LOL!!! I’ll be gardening for awhile and making certain to keep gardening tools in my hands so as not to fall weak again...SMH. Patience!!!
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely give yourself some time before applying for anymore cards. I don't know if they still don't do recons but in the past 1 time, I wrote a letter. And one day (about 4 weeks after my letter was sent) , I was alerted on my phone of a HP inquiry being made on my credit report by Capital One. So, I called them to see why....?? And they said they received my letter and decided to approve me. Like I said, I don't know if they'd still do that. The negative to that was they did (ANOTHER) hard pull.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you prequalified for any cards with them?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I didn’t give it much credit though because I’ve never been, even when previously approved
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.