Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a Credit Card...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied a Credit Card...

So I recently applied for a credit card through Bank of America for a balance transfer promo. I should've been easily approved for this card - my credit score is currently 712 and I researched approvals for this card before hand. I got a letter stating the reason I was denied was because, and I quote, "you are currently or have recently been enrolled in a consumer credit counseling service or a reduced payment plan." I am not currenlty enrolled in anything like that and have never been enrolled in anything like that. I immediately pulled my credit report from Experian as that is where they said they got the info and there is nothing referencing anything of the sort. What do I do? I am so confused and I have no idea where this came from. Help! Anyone?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied a Credit Card...

Call them and treat it like a typical recon. Good luck! 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call Bank of America or Experian? Also, what does "treat it like a typical recon" mean? Sorry. I am new to this. I have never had anything odd like this happen. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA.....call the credit analyst dept at BOA. Explain to them you were recently denied and would like a reconsideration because the reason listed is not applicable to you (you don't have any credit counseling history on your report). 

Message 4 of 7
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call Bank of America or Experian? Also, what does "treat it like a typical recon" mean? Sorry. I am new to this. I have never had anything odd like this happen. 

Look at the backdoor numbers thread pinned to the top of this forum. Call the Bank of America Sr. Credit Analyst number, and explain to them that the denial reason does not match what is in your credit reports, and you would like a human to look it over. 

You should be able to get approved. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry. I am new to this. I have never had anything odd like this happen. 

Also, forgot to add, don't be sorry, asking questions is how we learn to pass it on to the next new poster 🙂 We were all new once lol! Welcome to myFico! 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree I would call B of A for sure.   If got it from Experian it should be there, sometimes they read into comments posted on accounts so take a very close look at that report so if there is a comment somewhere you can dispute it.   Based on your score your ulitization and ontime payments are probably pretty good so you should point that out as not making any sense, people who are making their payments on time don't enter credit counseling.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.