Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied by Chase Again

tag
Ddub
Established Member

Denied by Chase Again

I was denied again for this card.  Credit history: in the 2000s I had a discover and capital one card for a few years I barely used, and a couple store cards.  They all got closed except Macy's charge for not using (I was on mostly cash economy then and "screw the banks" lifestyle).  About 3 years ago learned about travel hacking but it's a lot harder to get cards now.  I got rejected by everyone even for secured because of "no history"...finally Citi employee helped me get Citi classic secured $300 in bank almost 18 months ago.  Three months after used shopping cart trick, appoved for $500 VS card.  On one year anniversary of the secured (almost 6 months ago) got approved for Capital One Journey $3000 and Discover $500.  Just granted automatic $500 CLI on the Cap One but still can't get foot in the door with Chase, they said history is too short.  What to do?

CapOne Journey Student ($3500) DiscoverIt Student ($500) Citi Classic Secured ($300) Macy's Charge ($200) Vic Secret ($500)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ryox03
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied by Chase Freedom + denied after Recon

@Ddub wrote:

I was denied again for this card.  Credit history: in the 2000s I had a discover and capital one card for a few years I barely used, and a couple store cards.  They all got closed except Macy's charge for not using (I was on mostly cash economy then and "screw the banks" lifestyle).  About 3 years ago learned about travel hacking but it's a lot harder to get cards now.  I got rejected by everyone even for secured because of "no history"...finally Citi employee helped me get Citi classic secured $300 in bank almost 18 months ago.  Three months after used shopping cart trick, appoved for $500 VS card.  On one year anniversary of the secured (almost 6 months ago) got approved for Capital One Journey $3000 and Discover $500.  Just granted automatic $500 CLI on the Cap One but still can't get foot in the door with Chase, they said history is too short.  What to do?

Try again in 6 months to a year if you really want it. 

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 2 of 21
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Chase need 6 month minium credit history. 1 Year is better.

If you have no cards, I would apply for capital one secured card. and let it build for up to 1 year. Then app for freedom and close the secured card

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give it 6 months and apply again.
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone confirm what slicemans in saying? Does Chase really require 6 months of history now for Freedom?

When I got mine in 2013, my only history was an inquiry (for a declined CC app) from GECRB. Sure, I only got a toy CL on Freedom, but I didn't have to recon.

Message 5 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone confirm what slicemans in saying? Does Chase really require 6 months of history now for Freedom?

When I got mine in 2013, my only history was an inquiry (for a declined CC app) from GECRB. Sure, I only got a toy CL on Freedom, but I didn't have to recon.

I think required may not be the best word. Although I do believe showing six months of revolver history is a very good idea before apping with chase. You definetly don't always need a full year of revolver history to get the freedom card as I had a friend just do that with more than six months history but less than a year. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you a student? If so than you shouldn't have to much of a problem being approved for other student cards.
Message 7 of 21
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Denied by Chase Again

OP, I have created your own thread on this as the one you responded in originally is over a year old. I changed the title and left everything else in your post intact. You can change the title yourself if you wish by using the edit message under message options.

Message 8 of 21
ddemari
Super Contributor

Chase likes to see 1 year of established payment history before letting a lot of people in. 

Message 9 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@ddemari wrote:

Chase likes to see 1 year of established payment history before letting a lot of people in. 

This is not accurate. It depends on the card product. Actually when I came back to the credit game I had no active revolvers and one brand new approval when I got my freedom. I had a prior relationship with chase though. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.