cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for CSP, called recon line, should I call again?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for CSP, called recon line, should I call again?

Hey, everyone. So my husband and I are trying to decide whether or not we should call the recon Chase line a second time. He was the one to apply for it a couple weeks ago and we wanted it because we want to take an international trip within the next year and so and would really like the bonus miles. The reasons for denial on the letter says that he does not have enough accounts open to establish credit history, and that he hasn't had his account open long enough to establish credit history with Chase. He has the Freedom Unlimited, but available credit is only $3300 with me as an authorized user. I was added recently, if that makes a difference in being approved/denied for the CSP.

The letter says it pulled his TU score of 763 (went down to 749 after the denial), which I think is a decent score, but he does only have one account with them. I told him that when he calls he should mention that he pays his balance off every month, sometime early (which he didn't mention). His credit score is good. He also has a Discover credit card that's been opened for 2 years now, which his mother co-signed with him in order to get approved. So all he has is the Discover It card and the CFU. Since we are both college students, I am not working, but he is working and doesn't make that much (~13,000-15,000 annually). Our rent is really inexpensive which is nice and the only other monthly payments we have to make are for his car insurance and health insurance.

When he called the recon line, the representative basically stated that the main reasons were exactly what was in the letter and that there was nothing he could do for him. One thing to note is that my husband does not speak on the phone so well. He says "uhm" a lot and kind of breaks up his sentences in a way so that he'll start a sentence and then start saying something else. I don't know, but from what I've read on here, being able to speak well to the representative can effect the way the rep feels about you. Also, he mentioned that he has a pre-qualified offer for the CSP multiple times which I told him not to do seeing as how you're not guaranteed for a card just because you receive a pre-qualified offer.

Also, our representative just seemed like he didn't want to help. What do you all think we should do?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for CSP, called recon line, should I call again?

I actually suspect it is his reported income that is keeping you from the CSP approval. Unfortunately they give all kinds of reasons on the letter to explain the denial and sometimes they come across as inaccurate.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I thought too. And even though I was initially worried about being denied due to income (and I have heard of people lying about their income to get approved), I didn't want to lie in fear of getting in trouble.

Are there any other cards you'd recommend that maybe he'd have a better chance on that also offer travel rewards? We want to go to Thailand next September so we're trying to get a credit card that offers miles or something of the sort now so that we can rack them up by the time we take our trip.

Message 3 of 6
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

So Sorry OP Smiley Sad(((((((((

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I am pretty disappointed, but we're hoping that maybe something better will come along, even though the Preferred had everything we wanted.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to go in to a branch and talk to a manager. I think I have read somewhere on here before that the preferred used to be only available "in branch". Maybe the managers still have some discretion over approvals. May be worth a shot.... Take POI with you and plead your case in person... Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.