cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for a lack of credit history from Chase (CSR, Ritz)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for a lack of credit history from Chase (CSR, Ritz)

Was denied today for those two cards by Chase for a lack of credit history even though I've had credit cards for almost a year (just out of college). I've had no problems on my Citi Amex or BoA applications, but Chase rejected me. Wanted to develop a plan for a recon call. I make ~100k and use my cards for business expenses primarily (wrack up a lot and get reimbursed). Have a FICO of 735 as well. Any suggestions for my call with recon- I know it's unlikely, but would opening up a checking account with Chase or asking for a low credit limit or explaining that I've just started my job out of college help at all in the process?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied for a lack of credit history from Chase (CSR, Ritz)

Chase is funny like that.They use there own internal score to decide plus only 1 year is short for them,You have nothing to lose if you recon lonely thing they can say is another  no

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I get that around one year is short, but was hoping to get a small limit or something even (especially when those cards cost a ton anyway!). Any best practices for calling them other than being nice?
Message 3 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks. I get that around one year is short, but was hoping to get a small limit or something even (especially when those cards cost a ton anyway!). Any best practices for calling them other than being nice?

Part of the problem with that is that the CSP can't be issued with a small limit... the minimum is $5k.  Of course to some I suppose that is "small", but with other products it can get quite a bit smaller... Smiley Wink

To get your thread more exposure, I've requested for it to be moved to 'Credit Card Applications'.  You'll likely get more appropriate feedback there.

Edited to add:  details are slowly coming in, but it appears the minimum SL for a CSR is actually $10k, which reinforces my above statement.  Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I have a 10k limit with Amex but I guess each bank is different.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck on the recon! I've found if you're connected to the right person and actually have legitimate grounds for reconsideration, it can work. I reconned a Chase card earlier today and got approval. In my case, that required another HP, but the approval was worth it.

Message 6 of 10
trnl2016
Regular Contributor

I was denied a few months ago for the Freedom Unlimited for the same reason -- no payment history with Chase. When I called recon, I just explained that if they look at my payment history for my other cards, they can see it's perfect, and I just really like what chase is offering and want to move all of my spending to chase. I said that if they would reconsider even just a small starting limit so I can begin to show a payment history with them, I would really appreciate it. They approved. Smiley Happy good luck!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey - congrats on the job. I'm sure in good time you'll be able to get those cards! If I may ask, did you receive an instant denial, a 7-10 day message? A 30 day message? Or any combination of the sort?

I'm stuck in 30 day purgatory right now after I apped for the Ritz (Ritz Signature Version), although my history is ~3 years, AAoA=1, I'm gonna keep waiting, but I'm preparing to recon.
Message 8 of 10
Xistaben2
New Contributor

I would try to recon as soon as possible IMO.  As long as you are below 5/24 rule, you have a pretty good chance at success here.  I've had my Freedom card for about a year and a half now when I applied, so if they are going to be stingy over ~6 months in this case, someone in UW might be able to consider the rest of your profile and income.

Always, YMMV, but it's still a solid shot - Chase wants those $450 AF.

Message 9 of 10
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

I would recon and let them know you're willing to start out with a small limit to show responsible usage.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.