Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult to get a Discover CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difficult to get a Discover CLI

If you haven't read the massive Discover thread by Austin I would... has lot of info in it. I'm guessing if you keep doing what you do it will pay off. Maybe at 6 mo. If it were me I would keep PIF-that's always better IMO
Message 21 of 26
Client9
Regular Contributor

The thing is that it started at $6K and was dropped to $5K when things were tough and has held steady there forever.  Until now.  Like I said I am going to pick up the Race to 800+ again and hope to bring the the other cards that had CLI slashed back up to where they once were.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

SouthJamaica has the best answer I have seen yet for describing Discover CLI patterns. There aren't any and they are not predictable in patterns as you may see with other lenders.

The only ones I've ever received were when I had zero usage of the card for many months.

Isacking97 wrote:

Why is so hard to get a credit increase from discover?

I have good credit history and I have been approved for 2 credit increases with Amex, but with Discover is not even clear what are there requirements...

SouthJamaica wrote:

There used to be discernible patterns with Discover CLI policies. No more.

Now it's all over the place. Completely random IMHO.

Some people get big CLI's, some tiny, some none.

Some people get frequent CLI's, some infrequent.

Some people get CLI's after using the card heavily, some after putting it in a sock drawer for months on end.

Some people with good scores can't get decent CLI's, while others with not so good scores get huge CLI's.

I've given up trying to assign rhyme or reason to it. I think they have a team of monkeys manning the keyboard.
Message 23 of 26
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

"a team of monkeys manning the keyboard" JAJAJAJAJA  Smiley LOL

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Client9 wrote:

I have had a Discover since 2009 and had been at $5000 forever.  I did a balance transfer with them 8 months ago and have made the payment where it will be paid off before the interest kicks in.  I also did some Xmas shopping with it ($300).  Then I received an email yestersay of a CLI to $20000.  My jaw dropped.  I didnt ask for it, but I am not going to turn it down!  

When I first opened the card, I was 815/813/811.  Things kind of went bad in 2012 and my score dropped to 632 range.  I have decided to get back into this MyFico hobby again and get things back to where they once were.  I am 679 now accroding to Discover

So based on what I did, you do have to use the card and make more thant the minimum payment

Wow, now that is what I call a CLI! Smiley Happy Congratulations!

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's quite a 4X CLI!  I suppose if you hadn't received a CLI in 7 years, though, that you had quite a bit built up in there ripe for the picking Smiley Happy

I'd also like to add that since it was an auto CLI that if you go online right now and hit the CLI button there's a very big chance that you'll actually get more and it could possibly be another large amount!

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.