Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dipping my toes into "Prime" cards

tag
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Dipping my toes into "Prime" cards

I had a discharged BK in 2005.  So this week I decided 8 years might be enough to get some prime cards and ditch some of my builder cards.  This week I asked for a CLI from Barclay's Apple Card from $3250 to $4000 and Barclays US Airways card from $8500 to $10K.  Got them both!!  Then I asked Cap One for a CLI that I have been denied for the last 5 years and once again denied again.  Sent an email to EO and received a call today and was told they would try a manual review and I will get a response in 3-5 days.  If denied I will close account.

So then I got a wild hair and decided to try for Discover IT and was approved, but not for best terms so I declined the offer.  Then I tried for Citi Simplicity and was given a letter that it was in review so I called today and was approved for $2K with 18 months 0% interest.  I will ask for a CLI when I receive the card.  I also tried for Chase Slate card and called backdoor number and was asked a few questions about BK and credit history since.  I was told he would review it and be right back.  He came back and approved me for $5K with 15 months 0% interest.

I have never had "prime" cards before so I guess my BK is in the rear view mirror now.  Finally!!

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Dipping my toes into "Prime" cards

Congratulations on your successful rebuild.

Regarding Discover, that's your right to decline the offer but you've already suffered the HP. If the card doesn't suit you, I would make sure they cancel the application and delete the account from your CR's.
Message 2 of 23
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

...otherwise you'll take a hit to AAoA as well.

Message 3 of 23
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I will give them a call and maybe they will reconsider giving me a better rate.

@09Lexie wrote:

Regarding Discover, that's your right to decline the offer but you've already suffered the HP. If the card doesn't suit you, I would make sure they cancel the application and delete the account from your CR's.

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 4 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

FWIW, Discover reduced my APR from 19.99 to 14.99 .
Message 5 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

But they don't have to do that, right?   The OP applied for credit, which was granted, so they are entitled to record both the HP and the new account?  By cancelling the app do you removing the HP?  I can see that they might not have an issue deleting the account, but removing the HP seems less likely.

Message 6 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker

No, the HP will remain if they grant OPs request to remove the TL -assuming it even reports.

I was referring to removing the TL only.
Message 7 of 23
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I spoke with Discover and checked on the offer and it was only for $1K which is worthless to me especially when I was approved for $2500 two years ago, but I closed when I was unable to get higher limits. Cap one had been giving me the run around and I was tired of the denials so I closed the account.  The CSR said it would only count as an inquiry.  After getting approved for Citi and Chase today for much higher limits says to me its possible so I will wait for my BK to drop off in two years and see if I can get best offers at that point.

Message 8 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Discover can be conservative ESP if there are derogs on your CR's. So, you were approved two years ago and closed it soon after?
Message 9 of 23
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

Closed it after two CLI denials.  Not to worried about it at this point.  I will just keep cleaning it up and maybe re-apply in two years or maybe never again.  My goal was to get a "prime" CC and I got two today so I don't really need any more.  I will just try to get these as high as they will let me as I will with my CU which is the one relationship that I care about the most.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.