Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI Situation-Card still in system as Secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI Situation-Card still in system as Secured

I applied for the IT Miles 2/7/17 it was a denial for some reason now I cannot find any paperwork on it... Which is not like me as many of you all know.... I wonder why Discover did not send me a denial letter.......

Anyway, at the time the page did not list time since secured card had graduated as an issue it merely noted my new card had not been opened for a year.... So the verbiage about needing to be 12 months since secured card has unsecured must have been instituted since I applied YMMV though, especially since I cannot find my papers and I am going from memory and what I posted on the forums on 2/7...

Message 21 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really hoping this gets fixed. What are we supposed to do if it doesn't? Just keep our small credit lines and never get an increase? Or will the auto ones stilll go through? Would be interesting to know if they can increase them without us asking like when it graduated. Still odd to me that I was able to hit the button and get one 60 days ago.... and 30 days ago it didn't say anything about being secured in the denial.... now all of a sudden it does. That makes me think this is a new issue, but it would have had to have been new since the end of Jan.
Message 22 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a secured counter offer for Chrome in October 2015. It unsecured December 2016.

I applied for the IT card in February. It was declined for not enough time since card graduation AND that my card was still secured (which it wasn't)

I also can not get a CLI because it thinks I'm secured. The CSR, lending and EO just say call back in two days because it's a glitch they just fixed (for the past 60 days lol)

I'll probably close mine as well and move on.

Just sucks that it doesn't really do much to help in a rebuild.
Message 23 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Every time I read one of these I can't believe they keep saying 48 hours to everyone and it has been going on for 2 months! **bleep**?!?!? I'm super bummed about this. It is my daily driver and my favorite card in general.
Message 24 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe it is because I don't know the whole story and people are summarizing their experiences up in to a single post, but I simply can't understand why anyone would let them tell you the same thing for multiple months in a row. 

Maybe it is because I am in the customer care business or maybe it is because I know Discover prides themselves on customer satisfaction, but I feel pretty confidant this is a resolvable issue. 

Remember you guys are customers. Don't settle for the same old story each time you call. If anything, this has motivated me to not wait until the 1st of next month to apply again.

I will be sure to share my results in this thread. 

Message 25 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. This is my first call and experience with this, and I am giving Discover the benefit of the doubt. They told me 24-48 hours to fix it... so Monday I am going to try again. If it doesn't work... I am going to call back and will not let them tell me 48 hours again.
I think we all need to push this issue. If 5 of us have this happening.... it is happening to 100's or 1000's of people in their system.
The point of keeping this post going is to have one place for us to come to find out if it gets resolved for one of us. Or how. Or when.
I'm also trying to figure out if this is a 2017 issue. Meaning it seems to me that nobody had this issue in 2016. My card graduated in 2016. I got a CLi in 2016. It was only this first attempt in 2017 that it happened to. So is this a computer software issue that has something to do with the new year, like everything worked until the new year came.
If not... what else is different? What's changed that has made this happen?

I did SM them & told them my situation. I said when they went to go give me a CLi my card, even tho they could see was graduated, was still acting like a secured card. They wrote me back and said in their system it is showing unsecured and it should work. I will try tomorrow bcuz even tho they say that a part of me thinks this is not the issue. I believe it shows me (us) as unsecured but when they try to process the CLi they get the denial back and it shows some BS about the card being secured. I think it is something they can't tell by just looking at. I hope I am wrong.

One last thing-for those who have this issue. Can you order checks for your account? Is your cash limit super small? Can you deposit funds for a BT to your bank account?
Those 3 things are things my account has which is odd for an unsecured card but it is common for a secured card. I have a $50 cash line. Never cared cuz I would ever use a Cash advance but it is small for a $2200 limit. Then I noticed I can't order checks or use my 0% BT to get funds deposited to my bank. I would not do these either (well the 0% I would if I had balances on other cards) but I tried to find other things that were off on my account. So I'm wondering if these are clues as to our accounts being secured in the system even tho they aren't. Does this make sense? I have not had coffee yet. Sorry. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

The questions you have asked are not things I use my credit lines for. In fact I'm the guy who calls and asks to have my cash advance limit reduced to $100 so the occassional Plastiq charge doesn't go through wrong.

For balance transfers I have 2 offers, a 12 month 0% and an 18 month. As for my cash advance limit, it is $100, but that could have been from me. Assuming it wasn't I would say $100 on a $4500 limit seems low, but IDK. 

I have no clue about checks. Wouldn't even know where to look on the site.

Message 27 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said-I don't use the checks or take cash advances out either. It is something I noticed when I was trying to see if there were any other signs that the card is still showing as secured. I compared mine to SOs and those were the differences.

I didn't ask if you used cash advances or checks.
Message 28 of 73
jtw34240
Regular Contributor

just as an fyi my card also started with a $50 cash limit. when my limit went to 2k from 1k the cash line increased to $100. using cash line has negative effect they don't like it when you use a card for a cash advance. internally they factor it and i'm sure at some point they will see that. i didn't have this issue till about 2 months ago as i hit the button alot almost a few times a month. they must have spent alot in postage mailing me all those letters. but now i get the same problem as everyone else.

Message 29 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As I said-I don't use the checks or take cash advances out either. It is something I noticed when I was trying to see if there were any other signs that the card is still showing as secured. I compared mine to SOs and those were the differences.

I didn't ask if you used cash advances or checks.

First of all, yes you kinda did,  "One last thing-for those who have this issue. Can you order checks for your account? Is your cash limit super small? Can you deposit funds for a BT to your bank account?"

I think you misinterpreted the entire point of my post...

I was trying to give you additional data points with the limited knowledge I have due to lack of use on the areas you mentioned as possible clues to the account issue. I meant nothing else by it.

Relax.

Message 30 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.