Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI

@jamie123wrote:

Discover definitely has their own way of going about CLIs. Just press the LUV button every 6 months no matter what. That's what I do and I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised at the results.

I keep hearing references to this 'LUV' button but I'm not sure I know how it works. Can someone please educate me? Where do I find this button? I normally just go to the credit increase section of the website to request a CLI. Is this another way of doing the same thing?

Message 11 of 21
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yes they are the same thing. We reference the luv button as it at times gives us more creditSmiley Wink
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
Yes they are the same thing. We reference the luv button as it at times gives us more creditSmiley Wink

Oh I see. Gotcha! Good to know Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 21
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@LuckyB338wrote:
That last part is gold 😂. I read through some threads and you are 100% correct. There are a lot of ppl being denied over and over while some are being approved. But the recipe seems to be low utilization, no carrying balance, and low usage overall- don't swipe much at all.

Not really. No part of that recipe is valid. 

Some do better with high utilization rather than low.

Some do better with carrying a balance than not.

Some do better with throwing lots of usage through the card, while some do better with little usage.

Think of it this way: there is a room full of monkeys with keyboards making the decisions. But since it's a soft pull, there's no harm in trying; you might be one of the lucky ones.

Love that, and think it's pretty accurate. I first app'd for Discover It in early 2015 & turned down flat. Then in June 2015 they started sending me weekly pre-qual offers. On the 4th one I decided maybe they were serious & app'd - instant approval w/$4k SL, not even a HP. With the first year 0% interest + double cashback it was my daily driver and I got the CL doubled to $8k pretty fast. Then I slowed down using it, only $1-200/mo. as the 5% categories rarely worked for me, and 1% doesn't cut it. I got a couple $500 CLIs on request in 2017, but the last time I tried I was turned down, so I stopped requesting CLI's.

With the current 5% on gas I've been using more. But I also needed some short term extra funds and had an BT offer for 4.99% interest, no BT fee, and did a $4500 BT to my payment checking account. But I decided to call in and asked if they needed to verify any info on the BT I has just requested online.  The next morning when I logged in I see the rep duplicated my BT, and I now had 2 pending $4500 BTs, taking me to 93% of my CL.  panic.gif So I call in to cxl the 2nd BT and was told "too late", they were both approved and in processing. Both BTs hit my checking Monday, so I made a $6k payment to take my balance down before the statement cut on the 20th.

This morning I log in to get my statement and decided what the heck, I'll try a CLI. Instant approval for $4500 CLI, taking my CL to $15,100.

The couple bucks in interest for that dupe BT was well worth it. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaveInAZwrote:

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@SouthJamaicawrote:

@LuckyB338wrote:
That last part is gold 😂. I read through some threads and you are 100% correct. There are a lot of ppl being denied over and over while some are being approved. But the recipe seems to be low utilization, no carrying balance, and low usage overall- don't swipe much at all.

Not really. No part of that recipe is valid. 

Some do better with high utilization rather than low.

Some do better with carrying a balance than not.

Some do better with throwing lots of usage through the card, while some do better with little usage.

Think of it this way: there is a room full of monkeys with keyboards making the decisions. But since it's a soft pull, there's no harm in trying; you might be one of the lucky ones.

Love that, and think it's pretty accurate. I first app'd for Discover It in early 2015 & turned down flat. Then in June 2015 they started sending me weekly pre-qual offers. On the 4th one I decided maybe they were serious & app'd - instant approval w/$4k SL, not even a HP. With the first year 0% interest + double cashback it was my daily driver and I got the CL doubled to $8k pretty fast. Then I slowed down using it, only $1-200/mo. as the 5% categories rarely worked for me, and 1% doesn't cut it. I got a couple $500 CLIs on request in 2017, but the last time I tired I was turned down, so I stopped requesting CLI's.

With the current 5% on gas I've been using more. But I also needed some short term extra funds and had an BT offer for 4.99% interest, no BT fee, and did a $4500 BT to my payment checking account. But I decided to call in and asked if they needed to verify any info on the BT I has just requested online.  The next morning when I logged in I see the rep duplicated my BT, and I now had 2 pending $4500 BTs, taking me to 90% of my CL.  panic.gif So I call in to cxl the 2nd BT and was told "too late", they were both approved and in processing. Both BTs hit my checking Monday, so I made a $6k payment to take my balance down before the statement cut on the 20th.

This morning I log in to get my statement and decided what the heck, I'll try a CLI. Instant approval for $4500 CLI, taking my CL to $15,100.

The couple bucks in interest for that dupe BT was well worth it. Smiley Wink

To further demonstrate the randomness of it all... I've been using the balance transfer features plenty, but never get more than $300. I had to wait around 10 months for my next to last $300 CLI, and 3 months for my last one.

I'm working on a theory now, though. Some people have posited that Discover likes you to carry balances. So I'm going to try carrying some of the balance transfer balance, instead of paying it all off. The interest rate is low, so it won't break me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

@jamie123wrote:

Discover definitely has their own way of going about CLIs. Just press the LUV button every 6 months no matter what. That's what I do and I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised at the results.

I keep hearing references to this 'LUV' button but I'm not sure I know how it works. Can someone please educate me? Where do I find this button? I normally just go to the credit increase section of the website to request a CLI. Is this another way of doing the same thing?

(a) They don't really give you any love. At best, if you're lucky, you get a credit limit increase.

(b) They don't really have a button. That would be cool if they had a button. All they have is a link to ask for a credit limit increase.

(c) As to whether you get a CLI, that's up to the monkeys.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 21
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

I think I can conduct a similar experiment. My account is nearly 6 months old, my scores are in the low 700s and I have not requested a CLI. In addition, even though I pif each month, it's only the statement balance and there's almost always a less than 3-5% of the total credit line (1K) that gets carried. If I request a cli at 6 month mark I might be able to figure out what the deal is? Maybe... any thoughts?
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No harm in trying, as it is a soft pull! They'll only do a hard pull with explicit permission. I Also have a Student IT with a $1k SL, just turned a year old now (its my first card). Now its $3,300 with today's $700 CLI Smiley Wink . Score is similar to yours. 

Message 18 of 21
emily15
Regular Contributor

My account is not even two months old but I have PIF and used quite a bit (nowhere near limit however), I tried the button today and I got the "your request is under review".. I am assuming this is a denial which i'm okay with but is this any other type of bad news at all?? I'm so paranoid! Are denials usually instant or mailed?  TIA!

Message 19 of 21
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

Likely a denial but its a soft pull. No harm no foul. Anyway I dont think its a good idea to ask for CLI with Disco at least until the acc is 90 days old. Play the long game, Disco will give you auto CLI at around 6 month mark and when you see it call and tell them you are unsatisfied with the amount. Keep util low if you have a large balance pay it down to 1-9% of the util before statement cut off. As for the request you will hear from them in the next 48hrs.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.