Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Card Blacklist?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Card Blacklist?

I recently got a Discover Card pre approval letter in the mail and have been thinking of applying but I had a Discover card when I was 18 (25 years ago) that eventually got charged off because I was unable to pay. It’s been off my credit report for approximately 18 years now. Does Discover have a blacklist of people who had charge offs? Would they accept me even with a charged off Discover card?

My scores:
equifax: 652
transunion: 657
experian: 661
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover Card Blacklist?

Discover does forgive... You should be ok, if your current scores are good....

Thats more than long enough.... 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do of sorts, but I would think you ok by now
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto on previous two responses....anything that long ago should be alright by now. I doubt they keep those kind of records for that long, but.... don't quote me on it. I'd say go for it! The worst that would happen is you're denied and waste an HP, but if it's a card you really have your heart set on and can utilize, then I'd say it's worth a shot. I was recently just approved for the IT and can't wait to receive it in the mail. I'm big on CBR's and they have a decent one, although it does take some maintenance with the rotating categories.

Update us later on here so we know how it goes! This info always helps others out too...

Message 4 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Agree they will likely approve you.   I'm confused though; you said you had a Discover card charged off 25 years ago and it's been on your reports for 18 years?   Chargeoffs fall off your reports at 7 years (or 7 years plus six months).   If this old chargeoff is still on your reports, dispute them right away as too old.   They should be removed immediately by the CRA.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

you should be good i dont think they keep that long

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

DITTO TO ABOVE POST ^^^

Good lord... if it is that old that only takes one letter to the bureau(s) and they'll remove it. I had a baddie that was over 11 years old still on TU and it only took 1 letter and it was removed immediately.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I didn’t explain myself good enough. The charge off has been off my report for about 18 years now. I had the card 25 years ago and quickly maxed out the credit and was unable to pay it. It went on my report and was off in 7 years (hence the part about it being off my report for 18 years). I wasn’t good at credit when I got my Discover card. It was my first card and I maxed it out. I was a college student and was not working at the time. I took the credit hit and waited the 7 years for it to go off my report.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I guess I didn’t explain myself good enough. The charge off has been off my report for about 18 years now. I had the card 25 years ago and quickly maxed out the credit and was unable to pay it. It went on my report and was off in 7 years (hence the part about it being off my report for 18 years). I wasn’t good at credit when I got my Discover card. It was my first card and I maxed it out. I was a college student and was not working at the time. I took the credit hit and waited the 7 years for it to go off my report.

No worries... no need to explain the why part (most of us have been there with the baddies and completely understand). We're all here to help! Heart

We may have misunderstood you, but glad to know they're not still on there! That's a relief! So as I said, go for it! Disco is a great card to have and I definitely think you'll be happy with the decision, especially if you're approved. Like I said, the worst they can do is deny you, but you won't know where you stand unless you make the attempt. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of us here have hard core knowledge on their BL policy.

We're all rooting for you and with your data points, I believe you have a fair shot at getting approved, besides having the C/O from long ago. Disco has been known to offer the IT with fair credit scores, but you may be CO'd with less desirable terms and intro bonuses, such as on the 0% into APR, etc. (I seen one who was offered six or nine months instead of the fourteen).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.